[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3391: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3393: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3394: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3395: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
Crazy Flipper Fingers • View topic - New tourney format for weeklies

New tourney format for weeklies

You have no life. Click here to get one!

Your Thoughts (vote twice)

Yes! Sounds great let's do it at Ship in early Jan
8%
Yes, I like it but let's try it another time
25%
Yes, Anytime I can beat DannyB I'm all for it
16%
Ehh, it needs some tweeking
41%
No, I don't like it, I would not partake
No votes
No, I don't like pinball or nerds for that matter
8%

Total votes : 12

Re: New tourney format for weeklies

Postby Dropshot on Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:59 pm

Another note on the best/latest card is we don't have the software to determine your 'best card' against everyone else nor do I know how to begin to build one. Way to many things could change ones persons card which in turn would change another and another. We could make it a single game thing where each game is $1 and you can play them as much as you want. We do have software to keep the best on that. Maybe we just make it 1 ball every game 1 entry just to keep it simple.
Dropshot

Postby ROM on Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:07 pm

What about if you do best card, but have a limit on how many cards one can do (like three max)?

Maybe I'm missing the point.... I was thinking your "best" card would be whatever you personally think is your best. And then you just compare the scores on it with the scores on the other best cards.

anyway, I like the idea of special tournaments on the last tuesday. but I think they should start in Jan. I'll be gone on Dec. 22, and I'm guessing a lot of others will be as well. Please don't do the splitflipper on that date!
Vibe Police
ROM

Postby Dropshot on Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:49 pm

Yeah..I guess if the individual just chooses that would be fine. I like the idea of limiting the entries per person to 3. We could also do it at Slabtown and use lets say 8 machines but you only get to choose to play 5 of them. Each card could be different though. We did something like this at Green Dragon with 5 machines and you picked 3 to play and the top 12 moved on to single game double elimination. We won't do split flipper until enough people are in town. Would we want to randomly assign teammates or pick our own? We would have to have an even number so we may have to somehow do a preregister for it or something as well.
Dropshot

Postby ROM on Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:54 pm

I strongly believe that we should pick our own team ahead of time. That way it makes the event a little more meaningful. We have our team, we practice ahead of time, and then we present our skills at the tournament.

Also, that way we'll always have an even number.
Vibe Police
ROM

Postby Kickback on Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:50 pm

There is nothing divine about morality; it is a purely human affair. (Albert Einstein, 1934)
Kickback

Postby Dropshot on Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:16 pm

I agree with pretty much everything you said. I plan to go to IFPA 7, and I think a few other plan to as well. I hope/am shooting for top 32 (%50) who knows if I will even get that. Either way it will be 2 10 hour days full of playing machines harder than shit against some of if not the best players in the world. And that's why I am going, you got to lose/watch the best to learn from it all. Our weeklies form bad habits, as do going for GC's. To many times I play a game going for a score relying on making my shots %95 of the time rather than finding a solid game plan on low risk shots. IJ4, it would be boring as shit but hitting the right ramp 1000x would give you a good score with very minimal risk if you miss one shot. Same thing on NBA. Cayle, along with everyone else including some of us can teach a lot. Look at the MB strategy with creature. Or ToM with the loops. Very simple shit we are learning from other people. Granted finding them ourselves can be tricky but not unheard of so we just need to play with them and ask. I have yet to meet a pinball player that will now show/tell you how or what to do on a machine to maximize boints vs risk. Our tourneys are good though, we've gotten new players out and everyone has improved their games. I think we all just need to work on flipper skills and knowledge of machines. That's what all the best have on all of us.
Dropshot

Postby Kickback on Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:23 pm

For sure. I do think the top 10 of us at least have the flipper skill set. Machine knowledge and icy veins are the biggest killer. The weeklies are good! And I think should be left as such. I think we should hold more events with the same group, but without the tourney (sometimes, not always). A Coop/ workshop is in order. one to go from all aspects down to tech work, settings and modes, etc.
There is nothing divine about morality; it is a purely human affair. (Albert Einstein, 1934)
Kickback

Postby ROM on Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:27 pm

I haven't read your response yet, kickback. except the first sentence. "boints" refers to game boints (okay, honestly that's a bit of a lie - it does refer, in a joking manner, to how I really wanted to crush replay in boints some months ago. boints are certainly something to look at.). sorry bro. Want me to remove my name from pinballrankings to prove it? I don't really care about ifpa boints. I've stated this before. I can't seriously care about boints. They don't do enough for me.
Vibe Police
ROM

Postby Kickback on Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:47 pm

They are pointless if you can't really attain a legit top 20 standing and compete at that level. I actually agree with you to a point. boints and rankings are fun though, mostly. Getting to a higher level of play is most important. You should read the rest of my post.
Kickback

Postby Legs on Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:08 am

"Vrabel, on a bad luck streak and perhaps a little drunk, can't keep up." -The Willamette Week
Legs

Postby Opto on Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:55 am

Glad to see the conversation moving in the direction it is. I just want to hop in here and put a vote in for some sort of Ricochet Machine Tuned Super Tight PAPASHLAPA Tournament. I can't speak for anyone else, but a few things that have happened over the last year that I think have made me a better player -

1 - playing with all you . . . Before I got involved with this group, I was the lone pinball weirdo. I remember my first conversation with Eric about my strategy on (can't remember what game we were talking about). All I can say was, it was a game I played a ton. . . and I had no fucking idea what my strategy was on it . . . or any other pinball machine for that matter. That was probably a year ago. Did I deadflip? No. Dropcatch? Nope. Basically . . . I've learned a shit ton from ya'll.

2 - Ricochet coming to town. You remember the first time you tilted one of their machines? It was like . . . WTF? I barely touched it!!! In the last few months I've tightened up all my tilts, and it's made me enjoy a "harder" game more than one you can slide all over the place. I think the machines they've brought in have forced all of us to play at a higher level.

Has it forced us to play at A-Division PAPA level or whatever . . . absolutely not. If they had location machines for us to practice on with those settings, they wouldn't be making much money (except from us). I just think it's worth noting that from what I've seen in the last year or so it *seems* like people are improving, and pushing each other to do so on games that are set up nicer than most has to be part of that.

So, lets get some Ricochet pins setup with the outlane posts pulled (and whatever else is required to PAPAize a game) and see what we've got!
"I hear the trunk shot on Theater Of Magic can be deadly."
Opto

Postby Kickback on Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:18 pm

We can do it to your machines too. Or at least a few of them. Cayle has his set up as such.
Kickback

Postby deathsave on Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:32 pm

cayle's dr. who makes me want to cry.
This isn't a problem with tungsten bulbs because the filament remains red hot for a short duration after voltage is removed - long enough to appear lit persistently.
deathsave

Postby FHF on Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:51 pm

Uhhh, so I'm the only person that likes this idea?!? That's weak. I think $5 for sure. Show up, play a couple of cards. Play one card. Who cares. My only suggestion would be to maybe make it a full game (i.e. 3 balls). I like it cause it's a lot of pressure, but you're playing one player instead of having someone else fuck up your game flow. I wouldn't even care if you only got one card. That's probably all I'd play anyhow unless I royally fucked up on something. I mean really, it's more games than half the people get in the heads up weeklies. :oops: The only other thing would be to maybe start later or do it on a weekend so people have some time to get warmed up before everything starts.
Win as if you were used to it, lose as if you enjoyed it for a change. - RWE
FHF

Postby videomode on Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:59 pm

3 balls is better
dennis
videomode

Postby ROM on Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:26 pm

That's what she said.
Vibe Police
ROM

Postby Soundcard on Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:18 pm

Zing. ROM you are always there with the witty retort.
I'm just rehabing my shoulder... and trying to get my fuck on.
Soundcard

Postby caylegeorge on Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:00 pm

Wait, how did I get dragged into this? ;)

.... Don't detract anything from Noah's win at Slabtown, he played very well :)!
And that creature eject is haunted... Damn you ball search! :D

-cAyle
caylegeorge

Postby Opto on Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:23 pm

Thanks cAyle! :D And yes . . . that ball search totally screwed you. :o
"I hear the trunk shot on Theater Of Magic can be deadly."
Opto

Postby Kickback on Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:24 pm

Get back on the Wheaties box superplayer. I said his Noah's run was epic! The point being , is we as a whole are not at your level yet and need to take other measures to achieve your level. I think you are using a Jedi mind trick to fool us into thinking we are there. Then you beat us and take another machine. I'm on to you Sith Lord.
Cayle, on a side note and also to detract from PAPA standard machines, didn't Johnny Mnemonic burn you 2 years in a row in the second round in A division?
Kickback

PreviousNext

Return to Events