[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3391: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3393: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3394: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3395: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
Crazy Flipper Fingers • View topic - Chicken Ball Run 5/2/09

Chicken Ball Run 5/2/09

You have no life. Click here to get one!

Chicken Ball Run 5/2/09

Postby SPECIAL on Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:04 am

Get ready to roll, balls deep!

Part alleycat.
Part pinball tournament.
Part neither.
Mostly a time management problem.
All benefit.

May 2nd, 2009
Prereg at 11:30 at Coffee Plant(724 SW Washington)
Starts at Ground Kontrol at 1pm
21 and over

My friend James (aka Magnum/COW) and I are throwing a fundraiser for his wife/my friend Chicken(aka...Chicken) who needs $$ for surgery to remove her triplets. When I talk about triplets, I am really talking about unwanted growths, or benign tumors. The health care system is broken and the procedure, although cheap as far as surgery goes, is still a lot to deal with. She didn't have insurance and now that she needs it, well, you know. This will be a alleycat/pinball tournament.

Scoring. If you suck balls at one, lean more on the other.
A good part of the pinball portion will be just randomly beating a mystery score. James and I are going to play a game, one game per each available machine. I'll play half. He'll play half. We'll record each score and if you beat it, you'll get more boints than the consolation boints you'll get if you don't. Like us, you only get one play per game, and then you have to either choose to leave to the next destination, or play more games where you are at. There are going to be a few more available stops to play in addition to the required checkpoints if you're not concerned about racing. You could kill it on a game or barely beat our score. boints will be the same. Also, we could just as easily have a good game or suck it, and I don't know how to even play half of them. So that part will be a crap shoot.
The bike riding part will be simple. Everyone leaves at the same time. There will be a deadline to get to the finish. A baby could crawl there in that amount of time. This is all about time management. There will some boints for placement, a decent amount as you obviously won't be playing as much pinball to score in that department. There will be some required checkpoints, which will have pinball games to play. You must play one game at least before you can leave. There is going to be a mini manifest which, like playing extra games of pinball, is entirely optional, but will have boints forqun as well.
Go with the flow and you'll do well.
More importantly this will be a lot of fun.

Suggested entry is $10. With a $20 plus entry you'll get a badass shirt(see below). The shirts will be available separately as well if any are left over at the finishing point C-Bar roughly 5-6pm.
This is a sliding scale. Whatever anyone can do will help, and it's all greatly appreciated.

These are the good folks who have helped out on this. Love them back. Some are our friends, some are people who we barely know, all of them are our neighbors.
Balls of Retribution
portla(N)d (U)ni(T)ed messenge(R) assos(I)(A)tion
Coffee Plant
Tiny's
Genie's Cafe
Ground Kontrol
C-Bar
Billy Ray's
Crazy Flipper Fingers
MEAT for Cats and Dogs
Modified Screen Printing
Dee and Claire's Brew Clubb So Pathetic
City Bikes
Florida Room
Standard
Cyclone
Cupcake Jones
B-Side
Precision Images
Velouria
Portland Dog Walker
Jamba Juice
Pure Country Gold
Showers Pass
Stumptown Coffee Roasters
Wax On
Bar of the Gods
Freight Baggage

Remember, just like Lance, "you only need one good ball".
See you there,
Damian (aka Corndog/STE)

Oh, and here's the shirts. We just got 'em.
Last edited by SPECIAL on Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SPECIAL

Re: Chicken Ball Run 5/2/09

Postby Dropshot on Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:43 pm

I was planning to attend but now i believe it is my duty to cough up a 20 spot for that badass t-shirt
Dropshot

Postby sauce on Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:18 pm

I think Im gonna make it!
sauce

Postby Dropshot on Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:22 pm

i will throw this on the front page tomorrow
Dropshot

Postby ROM on Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:04 pm

I just added the image, linking to this post, on the right sidebar of the front page.

(had to replace the GK tourney image with something... dropshot, you can still add the post.) I'm going to be out of town for this :cry: I hope it goes well.
Vibe Police
ROM

Postby revtest on Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:09 pm

This should be a hoot and for a great cause so show up and buy the shirt! Do your part to help a fellow pinhead.
REVEREND-TEST
revtest

Postby SPECIAL on Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:20 pm

OK, so James and I were already headed to the vern tonight, but we've decided to bring shirts and do a little prereg while we're there. So if you're already in this will allow you the opportunity to get your size/color before they get to slim pickin'. Also, Chicken will probably be there to look sad for everyone, and watch Rudy Fernandez play basketball.
SPECIAL

Chickenball Run info (driving, boints, rules)

Postby SPECIAL on Fri May 01, 2009 11:58 pm

A couple bits of helpful info.
There will be 38 machines available. Some machines will have credits on them at various locations. Most all will be pay to play. The optional Lance Armstrong One Ball Open will be 50 cents to join and free from then on, if you advance. It's one and done on this one.
You can drive to get around. If you drive, you cannot participate in the mini manifest alleycat, for obvious reasons. But if you are focusing on pinball, this will even things out. The LAOBO is worth the same amount of boints as the alleycat.
Our scores over the last few days, have been complete crap. Let me tell you, busting ass on a bike to drop a couple quarters into a game and see what happens is not conducive to good pinball play.
$1 PBR at C-Bar, where this will end.

Here is some juicy info that you'll have in your hands later, but a preview will help.

SPECIAL

Postby SPECIAL on Sun May 03, 2009 3:24 pm

Here's some photos below, here:

I will try to get the master score list posted for those who'd like to see how they fared against our 50 cents(except for Batman, of course).

Perfect spring day. Some sun, some clouds, some wind, some rain, some rain, some rain-well, a lot of rain.

Overall this went off very well and I'm stoked on the turnout. Everyone was generous and had a great time. A couple board scores at the Vern at least, I even got a board score while killing the last credit at Vincente's CSI before I headed to C-Bar, and a GC at the one game I played at C-Bar after things quieted down.

All the scores were close in the end. Alessandro won by a point, and picked up a bottle of very nice wine that possibly was destined to be his and a nice Surly hat as well. Apparently he grew up in Italy, and had some idea of what the bottle was by vintner, but didn't fully realize what it was until he looked closer. I don't know wine, but he was blown away. Pretty cool. Chicken made a custom baller hip bag complete with quarter roll pockets, and artwork by Angela Raines(a chicken with flipper wings). Everyone finished with something decent, and even the guy who was MIA for a while, got something on top of the 22 of Brew Clubb So Pathetic homebrew I set aside just in case. Good accidental strategy. We even have some left over for the Kickball on May, 17th, where there will be a raffle and more good prizes.

I did not keep track of who place where on this. After the long drawn out 24 Hour Velo Vulture judging and organizing I wanted this to be quick and clean, so just know that if you got over 100 boints you were most likely top 8. MOHDI Drew won the Lance Armstrong One Ball Open. His trophy, in all it's mediocre grandeur, sits at Ship Ahoy to intimidate those who need all their balls to get it done. Not too many people did the mini manifest, which was surprising, and really meant a lot of boints. I think as a result the last place finisher on that got 20 boints out of it, and that was over 2 hours. Similar story with the LAOBO. The process took about half an hour and with sixteen people, I don't think anyone got less than 10 if not 20 boints as well.

In the end we look to have raised over $1,000(I heard an estimate of $1600?) from the generous contributions of many and all of the people who came out for this. If you have a shirt that you'd like resized, Chicken will do that for you as long as you keep her company for the few minutes it will take. Maybe you can fight the Road Kings if James will let you. Anyhow, Here's a few shots of the pain storm and my stop at Vincente's Pizza.

Last edited by SPECIAL on Wed May 06, 2009 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SPECIAL

Postby eric on Sun May 03, 2009 7:48 pm

Congrats on a great event - it was a lot of fun!
eric

Postby sauce on Sun May 03, 2009 9:12 pm

I got second! And picked up that sweet hip pouch Chickens made! Fun event!
sauce

Postby SPECIAL on Tue May 05, 2009 10:47 pm

Last edited by SPECIAL on Tue May 05, 2009 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SPECIAL

Chickenball Run pics

Postby SPECIAL on Tue May 05, 2009 10:48 pm

SPECIAL

Postby bounceback on Wed May 06, 2009 1:36 am

i couldn't/didn't make it, even though i was planning on it. had two flat tires on my bike, tried to make it to the bike shop, change tires, and get downtown to meet you guys in time, and it just wasn't happening. cleaned my basement instead. not nearly as cool, even though it felt positive to me. i'd still like to make a donation/pickup a shirt if there are any left. let me know.
bounceback

Return to Events