Magic One-Ball/Ball-One tourney SATURDAY 8/23!

You have no life. Click here to get one!

Magic One-Ball/Ball-One tourney SATURDAY 8/23!

Postby bounceback on Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:27 am

OK-- talked to the folks at alley bar yesterday, and we're shooting to have the tourney there, THIS SATURDAY 8/23 at 9pm sharp start time.

We want to keep this tournament quick, fun, and simple. Rules:

You play and record your score for your BALL ONE ONLY on each of the five machines. EBs do not count even if you collect on your first ball. One chance only! Luck may fuck you, but that's part of the fun. I expect some surprising results. The top 3 scores earn boints-- 3 boints for #1 score, 2 for #2, 1 for #3, and 1/2 for #4 to make it interesting. $2 buy-in. Prizes TBD, but will include cash and possibly some food courtesy of the bar. Anything can happen on one ball, so don't be afraid to come and enter, regardless of your experience level! Tell your friends!

Depending on time and participation, we may do another round (yay!) but everyone has to take a shot first :) (unless you're sober in which case you have to wear an eyepatch for the rest of the round.) Also depending on time we may ask people not to finish their games, and to just drain the balls so we can move on, but if we're not in a big rush there's no reason not to finish the game as normal. just make sure someone is recording your ball one score.

If we get some decent turn-out this should be really fun. If we go through quickly enough we could get in 2 or 3 rounds, and see who the true champs are time and again. Also, the more winners there are, the more fuzzy feelings get spread around, which will hopefully lead to more pinball being played in the future. Practice up this week!

I'll design a flier. We could REALLY USE SOME HELP taking flyers around to different pinball locations and seeing if the bartenders will let us post a tournament announcement. ROM and i only have bikes for transportation at the moment, but the glorius CFF network should be able to get some shit posted in all our favorite spots pretty quickly.

See you there!
bounceback

Re: Magic One-Ball/Ball-One tourney SATURDAY 8/23!

Postby ROM on Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:20 pm

Alleyway Bar and Cafe
2415 NE Alberta St
Portland, OR 97211
(503) 287-7760

Machines:

Whirlwind
Medieval Madness
Monster Bash
Indiana Jones (the first one)
Spiderman

If you're unsure if you want to come, I can help you decide: decide yes. See you there!
Vibe Police
ROM

Postby bounceback on Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:21 am

UPDATE: this tournament will award IFPA boints! so make it if at all possible. i was in touch with josh sharpe about this, future tournaments, and the possibility of getting the PPL (or any other portland league that may exist) IFPA sanctioned, and here's what he wrote back:

Hey Brian,

Wanted to quickly let you know that we fully support what you guys are doing (website looks awesome btw).

Sounded like you were looking at doing a monthly type of tournament. Typically we'll take the standard point scheme and divide that by the number of tournaments per year. So unless you tell me otherwise, I'll use 12 as that number. Should you do more than 12 you can simply say that the first 12 boints each year award boints while anything beyond that does not. That's what other tournaments have done and it's seemed to work quite effectively at helping garner some interest.

As for the different formats, we don't like including boints for anything that isn't based strictly on the skill of playing a pinball machine normally (one handed for example doesn't count, any time limit games, cross handed, sitting in a chair, blindfolded, etc). The one-ball is sort of an interesting grey area, since it's a pretty severe modification to playing a typical tournament machine. As it's still legit pinball playing based fully on that player's skill we can allow that to give boints.

As for odd-numbered players with a bracket system, the easiest thing to do is a quick qualifying type of system to rank those players in order, and giving byes to the highest ranked players. Even a one-ball qualifier would help put those players in order and give the byes to the players that deserve it. For example a 27 player tournament you would have to look at using a 32-man bracket. Seeds 1 through 4 would get that first round bye, and the rest would play out accordingly.

Definitely have Ryan follow up on the league side of things, and shoot me any other questions you may have.

Best of luck with growing competitive pinball in Portland!!

-Josh
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

so there we go-- if you're not in the loop on the internet, pass the word to some real people, and please get in touch about helping flyer for this thing over the next few days.

thanks!!

brian
bounceback

Postby ROM on Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:31 am

Rad!
I'll bring my digital camera, so that we can get pictures of everything to send to him.

We need Herb's whiteboard. I can possibly pick it up on Saturday. But if he's coming to the tournament, then maybe he can bring it himself. I'll call him.
Vibe Police
ROM

Return to Events