[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3391: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3393: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3394: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3395: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
Crazy Flipper Fingers • View topic - Portland needs to be the center of pinball universe

Portland needs to be the center of pinball universe

You have no life. Click here to get one!

Portland needs to be the center of pinball universe

Postby Kickback on Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:44 am

As we all know, June is going to bring the ambitious NW pinball expo in Seattle. This is great and we all want it to work and bring much needed attention to the Pacific NW and our burgeoning pinball scene. We should do everything we can as ambassadors of our beloved sport to help spread the word and get the competition a strong buzz. However don't use it as an excuse to ditch out on Pinburgh and the world championships. We need a real showing this year and some second round qualifiers to let the world know we are for real. We are definately leaders of the New School. Just as well, we need to focus on setting up PAPA sanctioned tourneys ala Shorty's weekly Sunday night tourney. These guys get world ranking boints every week for merely showing up. Anyone interested in helping devise a plan, you know how to find me. j
There is nothing divine about morality; it is a purely human affair. (Albert Einstein, 1934)
Kickback

Re: Portland needs to be the center of pinball universe

Postby ROM on Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:21 am

Crazy - I didn't know Shorty's had a weekly sanctioned tournament. Yeah, we definitely need something like that here.

I'm thinking Ground Kontrol would be the best place to hold regular tournaments. They have the most machines. I'll be seeing Anthony tomorrow, and I can talk to him about it. IFPA has "," and they sponsor tournaments . I don't see why Portland can't have one.

Did you know that the is on March 28 in Las Vegas? As far as I can tell, all IFPA things are sanctioned by PAPA, too. Or it's the other way around. At any rate, they both have official rankings.
Vibe Police
ROM

Postby Kickback on Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:40 pm

The Vegas tourney is bullshit. It is invite only and only the top 200 in the world. This includes Shorty's players because the ranking system is highly flawed. Plus Ground Kontrol isn't the place. I don't want to go to that part of town and not have Vodka.I don't really have the best answers but were getting fucked in the rankings.
There is nothing divine about morality; it is a purely human affair. (Albert Einstein, 1934)
Kickback

Postby bounceback on Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:20 am

let's have a show of hands for who would participate in tournaments on a weekly or bi-weekly or even monthly basis if they were IFPA sanctioned, or if the league were IFPA sanctioned? PPL isn't sanctioned yet, and it's the most organized thing we have. anyone interested in seeing that league sanctioned, or seeing CFF start an elite, sanctioned league? i don't know what the major point of that would be, as long as we could get one sanctioned UNLESS we get get BOTH leagues sanctioned and get double boints for participating in both weekly. eh? anyway-- i'm willing to be involved in pursuing and organizing these tournaments, but only if others are going to bother to show, unlike the short lived but awesome and totally fun recent pinbrawls at billy rays.

bb
bounceback

Postby ROM on Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:27 pm

Hand.

I think starting at once a month would be safe enough. And we'll do them on non-meeting nights. Once we do a few we'll be better at organising them, and will have people used to the idea of tournaments, and then we can decide if we want them more frequently.

Let's work on maybe doing one this weekend at Alleyway.

I think if we keep a description of our rules, and have pictures and a list of winners, then we'll be able to get them sanctioned - right? That part should be easy. Let's just do it, send in the necessary stuff, and then see how they respond.

And, oops, I posted that announcement in the wrong area of the message board. It should have been here.
Vibe Police
ROM

Postby bounceback on Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:04 pm

well whatever. we are the center. the universe just needs to be radder, starting with our own galaxies. alright, cool, let's make it official, because i still want to do the one ball tournament. next week (fri-sunday? preferences? week night?) let's do one ball at alley bar. $2 buy in, point system cross-referenced with the other potential scoring systems-- or, we could score by point system (3 for first on a machine, 2 for 2, 1 for 3) but offer a bonus prize for largest overall cumulative score, and highest average score. i'm guessing these will probably just corroborate the genius of the winner, but maybe it will give us some insight into how we might score things in the future. following week, meeting, but let's plan at least one mini-tournament or game of some kind, and let people know a few days ahead the meeting location. week after that, we'll pick a spot, and do one of the other tournament/game ideas kickback and ROM have proposed. so there we have it-- next week, (i propose friday night? but maybe sunday would be slower and thus easier to do tourneys) alley bar, 9pm sharp start time. give us some feedback people.
bounceback

Postby ROM on Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:38 pm

Let's do it this Friday. 9pm sharp. I'll get the whiteboard from Orbit's house.
(Sat and Sun is the zine symposium, so I'll be busy at that.)

What about boints for the top four scores? Or maybe top five? I am thinking that it should be parallel to how many machines we are playing. If we were only doing top three scores, then five third places would be higher than a single first place... and with five machines... um, five third places would, wait, nevermind. I don't know. I think we should do what you suggested - try it a few different ways.

B-back, do you want to make a kick ass flier?
Vibe Police
ROM

Postby bounceback on Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:10 am

yes i do want to make a kick-ass flyer. but we're going for saturday instead, so we don't disturb the banjo band.
bounceback

Return to Events