[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3391: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3393: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3394: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3395: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
Crazy Flipper Fingers • View topic - PinBrew I - Dorky's in Tacoma, 2/4/2012

PinBrew I - Dorky's in Tacoma, 2/4/2012

You have no life. Click here to get one!

PinBrew I - Dorky's in Tacoma, 2/4/2012

Postby LaughingOtter on Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:35 am

Hi!
Got something here which will blow your minds...
I've come up with this wild idea for a pinball tournament paired with a homebrewing social.
PinBrew I will take place on 2/4/2012 at Dorky's Arcade in Tacoma. I've already got Josh Sharpe's approval, so it's to be an official IFPA tournament!
I'm inviting homebrewers to showcase their stuff during this tourney. Who knows, it might be the Next Big Thing!
Some of you guys might have had my homebrew if you've been to a Seattle tournament. If there had been a way I could have snuck my stuff into Slabtown during the last Showdown I would have! Some of the stuff I've tasted in the homebrew circles is astonishingly good! I want to share this with my pinball friends. What's better than beers and pinballs, eh?
There are six pinball-playing homebrewers in Western Washington and one in Vancouver BC. We've got the makings of a Cascadian PinBrewers League (or something like that) if PDX represents here.
Let me know what you guys think, eh?
Pinball is a lot like programming, really. The reward for doing it well is the opportunity to do it again.
BEER AND PINBALL, DAMMIT!
LaughingOtter

Re: PinBrew I - Dorky's in Tacoma, 2/4/2012

Postby inthecan on Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:21 pm

YES!
I know this defies the law of gravity, but I never studied law! - Bugs Bunny
inthecan

Postby Opto on Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:56 am

What is the format for the pinball part of this?
"I hear the trunk shot on Theater Of Magic can be deadly."
Opto

Postby Dropshot on Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:12 am

They seem to be more concerned about the beer and chili cook-off than the tournament.

5 machines, play them all once. That's it. Some sort of finals.

$10 entry. If you bring chili or beer you play for free.

Not sure how this is a tournament.
Dropshot

Postby Opto on Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:51 am

hmmmmm - and is it worth 25 BBBBBOINTS? I bet it is.
Opto

Postby Dropshot on Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:11 am

Yes, it is worth full BBBoints!!?????

I picture this as more of a gathering for a few games of pinball and drinking than a tournament.

My guess is it could be fun. Low entry so low payouts. The trip would really be for the bbbbbbooooiiiinnntssss!!!!!

I would not have high expectations except for the beer!!! Which isn't a bad thing at all.
Dropshot

Postby DannyBackglass on Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:26 pm

Whats up with that WA format? That Leftover Tournament was the same. Play my games once. Someone told me how to play Old Chicago completely wrong. Or during my only game of Fireball I find the right flipper goes limp. Good to know.The most skilled player cannot learn a game on one try and beat the guys that play there everyday. Two times over the game. Record the highest of the two or change the format all together. More PDX folks may show.
DannyBackglass

Postby TheStandardNate on Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:47 pm

I had planned on going thinking it was a different format. Not interested, but maybe that is the goal. Bore people and keep the boints for yourself.
"Well, there goes our Saturday night air hockey tournament."
TheStandardNate

Postby Dropshot on Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:54 pm

It makes for an easy excuse on not actually organizing a real tournament. It's gonna be a mess, but I do think it probably would be a fun day of beer, food and a little pinball. Not worth the travel in my opinion though. Pot luck at Ship Ahoy!
Dropshot

Postby Opto on Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:42 pm

Steve can correct me if I'm wrong on this, but the way I understand it . . .

After playing each of 5 games once with HERB scoring they'll take the top 12 or 16 for finals.

3 or 4 groups playing a 4-player game w/ the winner from each advancing to the finals

Then a 4-player game to determine the winner/2nd/3rd/4th.

Qualifying, Semi's and Finals seems like more of a crapshoot than a 3-game set would - maybe that's the point though - luck factor is higher - anyone can win.

$10 or free entry for bringing beer/food also doesn't sound like it'll be a big prize pool. But it's a FULL 25 BIZOINTS and an excuse to check out a new pinball spot. Dorky's does have quite a few pins.

Steve - this sounds like a fun casual thing, but probably not enough draw to get a lot of portlanders to come up. I might be off base here - maybe the wpr's will be enough - who knows.

It would be awesome if you do another one at Dorkys with higher stakes, larger buy in/prize pool and a format that more rewards skill and all day consistent play than luck.
Opto

Postby PatC on Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:49 pm

Say one of us was crazy enough to jet up there... (and by Jet I mean drive fast). What time is this thing going on at?

-p.
PatC

Postby Opto on Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:29 pm

Looks like if you start playing your 5 qualifying entries by 6pm you're fine -

http://www.laughingotter.com/PinBrew/index.php
Opto

Postby eric on Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:40 pm

Screen shot 2012-01-25 at 5.38.25 PM.png
Screen shot 2012-01-25 at 5.38.25 PM.png (54.11 KB) Viewed 10952 times
eric

Postby PatC on Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:15 pm

Does that say that Cayle is new at pinball? Ha.
PatC

Postby Opto on Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:57 am

Who's Cayle?

I like the name IPYAY! for a beer. Someone should make a batch with some booger sugar and call it IP-Yayo.
Opto

Return to Events