[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 368: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3391: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3393: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3394: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3395: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
Crazy Flipper Fingers • View topic - Pins & Needles (LA) - End of Summer Tourney

Pins & Needles (LA) - End of Summer Tourney

You have no life. Click here to get one!

Pins & Needles (LA) - End of Summer Tourney

Postby ROM on Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:32 pm

Heyz, I know this isn't relevant to most people here. But maybe someone from Los Angeles will read this. The Pins & Needles End of Summer (and 1 year anniversary) tournament is next Sunday, August 28th. 1pm start. $10 entry. It's run by Keith Elwin. But no WPPR boints, because it wasn't submitted in time. "Round robin" format, 100% payback, nobody is eliminated until the final 4.

This is the trophy awarded at the last Pins & Needles tourney:

So I'm guessing there will be another cool trophy this time.

Line-up:

Embryon
Nine Ball
Tag Team
Jack*Bot
Black Rose
World Cup 94
White Water
Dracula
Funhouse
Flash Gordon
Mousin Around
Laser Wars
Hollywood heat
Mystic
Dolly Parton
Future Spa
Fathom
Harlem
Space Invaders
Alien Poker
Fire power
Flash
Star trek (Bally)
Surf Champ
Super Star
Knockout
Jungle Queen
Bazaar
Rollergames
Vibe Police
ROM

Re: Pins & Needles (LA) - End of Summer Tourney

Postby Opto on Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:19 pm

Make us proud, ROM. That lineup is saweeeeeeeet.
"I hear the trunk shot on Theater Of Magic can be deadly."
Opto

Postby mlane on Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:56 pm

can't make it for this but i'm headed down to P&N in a few weeks. i'm sitting in an incredibly boring class right now reading this, and thinking of playing the hell out of that jungle queen soon is pleasantly distracting, so thanks for posting the lineup. tell Keith he's a sucker for not putting Genesis in the tourney!
mlane

Postby ROM on Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:11 pm

Molly won it!

Fun format (1 on 1, 2 of 3 - first four players to 5 wins make the final round. And you can't choose the same machine twice throughout all the rounds.). Great line-up. Solid turnout (18) and tough competition.

I got 6th :(
Vibe Police
ROM

Postby Opto on Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:58 am

Sounds interesting . . . So, no bracket, just drawing names out of a hat to determine matches? How were the games chosen? Could you have a 2 of 3 match against the same player twice?
Opto

Postby ROM on Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:05 am

I didn't see any hats. I'm thinking there was some order to the pairings - but I don't know what it was. It might have been based on your wins-losses record as the rounds progressed.

For choosing games, there was a coin flip. Winner gets to either choose the first game, or choose to go 2nd. The loser of the first match then gets that same choice - pick game or go 2nd. Loser of the 2nd game gets the same choice, unless it was their second loss.

By the time we had done 7 rounds, there were 5 people who had won 5 (I was at 4-2 after six, but then lost my next one). So the bottom two played a sudden death game to bring it to the final four.

I'm not sure on the details of the finals - but it seemed like the final four played four four-player games, scoring 4-2-1-0 (I could be wrong about those scores) on each. And the play order was determined by how they qualified for the finals. And I think each player got to choose one game. The final games were... Nine Ball, Jackbot, Jungle Queen, and Whitewater.
Vibe Police
ROM

Postby Opto on Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:13 am

Seems like this could be a cool "all day" format. Question - if you chose Embryon (for example) in your first match, you cannot pick it for the rest of the tournament. Then if several rounds later your opponent picks it, you can still play it . . . cuz you didn't pick it - correct?

Might be tricky to enforce people not picking the same machine twice . . . but maybe you could have a big sheet with a grid and everyones name on it, where they/their opponent list the games picked, and have their opponent sign off the round . . .
Opto

Postby ROM on Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:55 am

Correct - if an opponent picks a game that you've already picked, you can play it. And in the finals, it gets refreshed, and you can pick any game. And yeah, there seemed to be no enforcement of people lying and picking a game they've already picked. Honor system. But I didn't notice any controversy or people taking advantage of the honor system.

Tourney went from like 1:30 to 5:30pm, roughly.
Vibe Police
ROM

Return to Events