[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3391: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3393: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3394: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3395: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
Crazy Flipper Fingers • View topic - 11/20 Slabtown Tournament

11/20 Slabtown Tournament

You have no life. Click here to get one!

11/20 Slabtown Tournament

Postby eric on Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:05 pm

As Jake posted in the Machines forum, Slabtown will be hosting a pinball tournament on November 20th. Here are the details:

SLABTOWN PINBALL TOURNAMENT

Thursday, November 20th
6-8pm Qualifying period
8pm Double elimination finals

$5 Entry (credits for tournament play will be free)
$100 Guaranteed first prize

Machines: Funhouse, Sopranos, Medieval Madness

Slabtown
1033 NW 16th Ave.
http://www.myspace.com/slabtownbar

More details (and a flyer) to follow. Hope to see you all there.

-Eric
eric

Re: 11/20 Slabtown Tournament

Postby ROM on Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:50 pm

We should make sure to take photos and keep records of all the scores. Then we can turn it in to IFPA for ranking boints.

I added this tourney to the calendar on the main page.
Vibe Police
ROM

Postby eric on Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:47 pm

Do the machines need to be in tournament mode to qualify for IFPA boints?
eric

Postby ROM on Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:02 am

Negative.
Vibe Police
ROM

Postby autofire on Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:26 pm

I was talking to mike and he was telling me about a tourney where they played pinball bingo. so you would have a scorecard with extra ball or bonus multiplier or whatever in a game and when you got one of these things you would cross it off and who ever gets a line first is the winner. just like bingo! it sounds like it would be fun. maybe we could try it during a tourney at slabtown as just something extra.
autofire

Postby eric on Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:52 pm

I'm down with side events. There's also a TSPP that won't be used for tournament play. We could do something like a split flipper mini tournament for folks that don't make the finals.

Here's the flyer. I hope to have some up around town within the next day or two.

poster_v5_web.jpg
poster_v5_web.jpg (35.25 KB) Viewed 16187 times
eric

Postby revtest on Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:10 pm

I was just at slab and ran into Jake from quality the games are playing well MM is fucking on right now headed back there in a bit looking for TBD tonight on that shit!!!!

Come put in some work brothers!

On a side note I sent out a text but for those of you whose # I don't have he (Jake) also said he was at billy rays and got MB, MM set (not sure about CFTBL but I asked him to get on that!) headed there mid day tomorrow show up or hit me up.
REVEREND-TEST
revtest

Postby ROM on Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:46 pm

Homies, this is tonight!

Don't forget to be there. 6pm
Vibe Police
ROM

Postby ROM on Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:50 pm

Slabtown's myspace calendar says 9pm start. That is not correct.
Vibe Police
ROM

Postby eric on Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:16 pm

Thanks for catching that! 9pm is NOT the starting time. The qualifying round is from 6pm-8pm with double elim finals to follow immediately afterwards.

I've notified the bar owners of the error, so hopefully the Myspace page will be updated soon.
eric

Postby ROM on Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:15 pm

Eric, feel free to post the results when you have them. Also, if you have stuff put together to give to IFPA, you can send that to me (master.cob at gmail). If you have questions about what to put together, just ask me or bounceback. If you need full names from some of us, I can probably get those. If you don't want to bother with any of this, I understand.

I think it went really well. Thanks for putting it together. I like having a qualifying round like that. It's cool because it firmly establishes the order we're supposed to play in in the main round. We play different people, different machines, and the person we play is based on rank. Nice structure! Do you think this is going to be a regular thing?

Also, as an aside, I think that anyone and everyone who smokes cigarettes inside crowded, stuffy places like this is, in some respects, a disrespectful asshole. Just because you can smoke wherever you want doesn't mean it's not a dickhead thing to do. Eric stated at the beginning that playing air hockey during the tournament is super annoying and distracting. Well, I think that's nothing compared with having to play with stinging eyes, throat, and smelly ass clothes. Smoke in a corner, not in everyone's faces. I don't care if I sound like a whiner, and I'm not blaming my sad loss on this, but I am so sick of this total lack of sympathy on all your parts. Show some fucking respect for everyone who doesn't smoke and doesn't want lungs full of your smoke - I just want to play pinball, and it sucks that I can't do it without feeling like shit during and afterward just because of your joker addiction. We can blame the bars all we want, but the bottom line is that it's not the bars blowing this crap all over the place. I can't wait until Jan. '09 when the state law forces you to respect others.
Vibe Police
ROM

Postby Dropshot on Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:57 pm

Yeah, I am one of those assholes, and I know where you are coming from. When I am not smoking I can't stand the smell of it and it annoys me, especially while trying to play pinball. I am also looking forward to the ban. I usually try to only smoke (stand) by other smokers when doing so, but last night was very crowded with no ventilation so I'm sure it didn't really matter where you were, it was just bothersome. You know the worst part of it all, yesterday was national smoke out day, no one should have been smoking anyway.
Dropshot

Postby ROM on Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:54 pm

For me, it's not even that I can't stand the smell of it. Pretty much all my friends growing up have been smokers. I am very used to it, and in some ways it's kind of a nice thing in how it evokes memories and makes a setting and such. I have even tried really hard to smoke, just for the hell of it, but it never stuck. Smoking is a personal thing. I mean, as a fellow human and a friend I would rather see you not hurting yourself with them, but I'm going to respect your "choice" and not bug you about it.

But a "smoking establishment" is not defined as a place where people have to smoke. It's a non-smoking place just as much as it is a smoking place (as in, bars that allow smoking also allow non-smoking... this is obvious, right?). But one natural aspect of smoke is that it spreads. When it comes down to it, it is up to the smokers to make the choice of either imposing the exhaust of their habit onto others, or putting in the effort to respect those who don't choose to intake smoke by maybe stepping away a bit. And it's messed up how the default for smokers is to not consider the choices of others not to smoke.

I'm not such a stodgy dude that I think we should only be playing pinball in warehouses or living rooms - I like beer, and I enjoy publicly whooping Replay at ping pong, and I like the fun environment that's around us when we play. I just think more consideration is in order when it comes to smoke, since it saturates everything and is, in the end, unhealthy.

sorry for hijacking this thread.
Vibe Police
ROM

Postby DannyBackglass on Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:08 pm

Man. I think I smoked damn near a pack of cigs last night. I agree, it sucks. Im looking forward to the smoking ban. I was super stressed that a couple days before I couldnt miss a shot. And last night I couldnt make one. Very strange. Im stoked kickback won tho. Puts him back on the map.
DannyBackglass

Postby Kickback on Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:23 pm

I avoid playing out a lot due to excessive smoke. I watched unnamed people light them while already having one lit or putting them out and lighting one right back up. I took a shower as soon as I got home. Waiting for the OOO tagalong douche to roll one to smoke while he played made me hate him even worse. Mary's looking for you and your little snow white fleece. Baaaaa! Smoking ban 09 will be the greatest!
There is nothing divine about morality; it is a purely human affair. (Albert Einstein, 1934)
Kickback

Postby eric on Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:39 pm

Thanks to all who played last Thursday and congrats to Kickback who walked away with the $100 first prize. Top 3 finishers were:

1. Kickback
2. DropShot
3. Paul Z.

I accidentally left all of my paperwork at Slabtown, so I'll post complete standings once I get a copy of the bracket from Brinda. Sorry for the delay.
eric

Return to Events