New tourney format for weeklies

You have no life. Click here to get one!

Your Thoughts (vote twice)

Yes! Sounds great let's do it at Ship in early Jan
8%
Yes, I like it but let's try it another time
25%
Yes, Anytime I can beat DannyB I'm all for it
16%
Ehh, it needs some tweeking
41%
No, I don't like it, I would not partake
No votes
No, I don't like pinball or nerds for that matter
8%

Total votes : 12

New tourney format for weeklies

Postby Dropshot on Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:46 pm

This won't happen every week but I just thought of a great format idea. I call it 1 ball Qual, 2 ball semi, 3 ball final. So it would be open qualifying from 6-8 on all the machines. $5 gives up one 4 game card allowing 1 ball per game. You can qualify as many times as you want but we keep your last card, not your best. boints would be given out 20 for 1st 18 for 2nd 15 for 3rd 14 4th 13 5th and so on down to 0 boints. At the end of qualifying the top 8 players would move on to play all the games once with 2 balls. Same point system. Then the top 4 would move on to play 3 4 player games with boints being given 4 2 1 0. What do you guys think? Do you like? Not like it? Other ideas to improve? Should we try it in Jan at Ship Ahoy? Feel free to vote or suggest.
Dropshot

Re: New tourney format for weeklies

Postby Legs on Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:29 am

i only voted in this poll because i have very strong feelings about beating dannyB.
"Vrabel, on a bad luck streak and perhaps a little drunk, can't keep up." -The Willamette Week
Legs

Postby Soundcard on Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:54 am

This seems like it could result in lots of money out the door for very little reward. I mean, 5 bucks for 4 balls seems steap. Maybe get someone to set the games to free playand charge a dollar or 2 and it would seem more reaasonable.
I'm just rehabing my shoulder... and trying to get my fuck on.
Soundcard

Postby ROM on Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:43 am

Yeah, super crappy balls happen all the time. I could see this tournament ending up being very one-sided, and not too representative of our overall skill (aka one person gets a few decent balls, and it's all over!).

We should do a proto-version of the tourney first. Just casual, $2 or so.

Also, we should do a split-flipper tournamo.
Vibe Police
ROM

Postby emma on Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:02 am

I am interested in this idea - and other ideas for different tourney formats to shake things up. I agree with ROM tho that we should try this out first and see how it goes with a smaller $$ buy-in fee. Maybe do it on a random Thurs/Fri night next month. I'm also curious why a player who maybe invested $10-$15 to qualify wouldn't get to keep their best card? That seems shitty to me.

I also like the idea of doing what Jeri calls a "PAPA style tournament" where you can barely breathe on the machines. That would be inneresting!
emma

Postby Rob on Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:36 pm

I'm down for mixing up the tourneys a bit, but find the price to be too steep. It was fine to throw down some big bucks to play the games at a huge-ass Slabtown tourney, but I can't do that on weeklies.
Rob

Postby Kickback on Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:15 pm

Leave the weeklies as is and use other formats for other tournies that can be set up any other time. Don't fix what isn't totally broken. A certain level of consistency would be nice. I don't think many of you could handle PAPA style, although that's what I've been pushing for for YEARS. Of course other than Lou, Jake, Jeri, Trish and Rhodes, I have yet to see the rest of you at PAPA.
There is nothing divine about morality; it is a purely human affair. (Albert Einstein, 1934)
Kickback

Postby Dropshot on Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:33 pm

you can't take stabs at us for not going to PAPA when you went and played in B
Dropshot

Postby Dropshot on Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:35 pm

i guess rhodes played c
Dropshot

Postby Dropshot on Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:37 pm

Also, I think NW Show last year had the machines equally as tough as PAPA, at least that's what the big dawgs were saying. If you hard flipped you would tilt.
Dropshot

Postby Dropshot on Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:45 pm

So what if we made it $2 an entry. I like the idea of the last card counts, not your best. It will make you think twice about playing another card, or make you play another card after that. The only reason the 'bigger' events keep the best is to make more money. My bet is a lot of the time a players best score is one of there earlier games but they just keep playing thinking they can do better and knowing that if they do worse it doesn't matter. If it were last card stands and you got 25m on MM, you may keep it and the additional $20 you would have spent on it. The last time we did a 1 ball tourney it was at the Alleyway. It cost $5 and you got to play every game once, high score total wins tourney done. Everyone seemed happy about that event and that is why I also feel $5 isn't to bad of a price, make you first one count. That is kinda the point of a 1 ball tourney, clutch play. If it's $1 a card people will be playing 5-10 times no problem, that's not clutch, that's getting lucky eventually.
Dropshot

Postby Kickback on Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:46 pm

You are not an A division player Aaron. As much as you think you are, you don't know what you are talking about. When you finally go, you're gonna get a big slap of reality at how good you think you are. So your talk of "Divisions" is falling on ears that think you are talking out your ass. Because you are. NW Expo is nice, but not comparable.
There is nothing divine about morality; it is a purely human affair. (Albert Einstein, 1934)
Kickback

Postby Dropshot on Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:04 pm

I never said I was A, nor do I think I am, but I wouldn't spend $400+ to go play in a B tournament regardless of what the event is called
Dropshot

Postby Kickback on Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:10 pm

I would spend $1500 to just go and play pinball there. you make a mute argument and even worse is you don't know it, so you continue.
Kickback

Postby videomode on Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:28 pm

You both suck at pinball
dennis
videomode

Postby ROM on Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:35 pm

PAPA SCHPLAPA. why do these discussions always devolve into talking about a tourney that 90% of us don't care about?
Vibe Police
ROM

Postby Opto on Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:43 pm

I vote we someday hold a PAPASHLAPA tournament - that's one I'd play in for sure.

PAPASHLAPA
"I hear the trunk shot on Theater Of Magic can be deadly."
Opto

Postby Opto on Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:46 pm

Seriously though... I like the idea of trying out different types of tournaments, but I agree that we shouldn't rock the tuesday thing too much. It's good, it's smooth. We're at a place where a few different folks can run it.

Since we're scheduling tournaments a month ahead of time. I vote for making the last tuesday of every month a "SPECIAL" event where we try a different tournament style. You don't like the format . . . don't show up.
Opto

Postby Dropshot on Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:57 pm

Good thinking Noah, then we should do a split-flipper tourney at the end of December. Or will to many people be out of town?
Dropshot

Postby Opto on Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:49 pm

I'm gone the last week, but I'd be happy to do one on the 22nd.
Opto

Next

Return to Events