Slabtown Smackdown 11-7-09

You have no life. Click here to get one!

Are you interested?

Part of CFF
38%
Part of NON-CFF
61%

Total votes : 26

Re: CFF VS. NON CFF (Includes Seattle) Rumble

Postby Dropshot on Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:43 am

correct
Dropshot

Postby FHF on Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:27 am

Yeah, so the four qualifying players will essentially be the four people who beat the most players from the opposing team. Once you enter the finals though, the team score makes it so that both players have to be winning. So if one teammate gets the best score and the other gets the worst it is essentially a wash since both teams get 2 boints.
Win as if you were used to it, lose as if you enjoyed it for a change. - RWE
FHF

Postby sauce on Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:16 am

Can we get a poll going and seeing if there is any interest on doing this on sunday instead? I probably cant get saturday off since I will be taking the next saturday off for shorty's.
sauce

Postby deathsave on Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:39 pm

sunday is going to kill it for several out of towners.
This isn't a problem with tungsten bulbs because the filament remains red hot for a short duration after voltage is removed - long enough to appear lit persistently.
deathsave

Postby revtest on Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:30 pm

Saturday is the day for me to be in!
REVEREND-TEST
revtest

Postby eric on Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:38 pm

At this point it would be really difficult to change the date. We've already confirmed with the bar and convinced them to open several hours earlier than they usually do.
eric

Postby deathsave on Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:32 pm

i'll see if i can drink them out of 3 kinds of whiskey again.
This isn't a problem with tungsten bulbs because the filament remains red hot for a short duration after voltage is removed - long enough to appear lit persistently.
deathsave

Postby Rob on Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:02 pm

I want in... Let the training begin!
cue "Eye of the Tiger"
Rob

Postby Dropshot on Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:38 pm

Deathsave, I am pretty sure we are going to be able to have this ranked. It isn't really 'teams' till towards the end and we can play it out for 1st and 2nd. I am going to talk to Josh and see what he thinks.
Dropshot

Postby deathsave on Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:14 pm

i doubt you'll be able to get the full 25 w/ multiplier since it's half-closed, but perhaps "special event" status will apply. that's how they rated a couple of pinball party tournaments out here this year. certainly can't hurt to ask.
deathsave

Postby Dropshot on Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:06 pm

MAJOR CHANGES

Saturday Nov. 7th 12:00pm @ Slabtown (weekend before Shorties so practice up)

$30 entry per player

The format is as follows:

There are 48 spots open to anyone. First come first serve. You can pre-register with me at weekly tournaments ($30 is needed then). Other than that the only other time to register is the day of. Seattle players are the only exception. Let Deathsave know and he can pass it on to me or PM me.

Basically it is going to be very close to the format we originally planned only now there is no team aspect. Everyone for themselves.

There will be 8 qualifying rounds played. The final qualifying round will not start past 8:00pm regardless of the number of rounds completed.

Each game will still be played with 4 players per machine. If 48 players sign-up all 12 machines will be used. If 32 people sign-up 8 machines will be used. Get it? Each game will the players scores will be ranked:

1st 4pts.
2nd 2pts
3rd 1pt
4th 0pts

After the final round is over the top 8 will move on to the finals. The semi final round will consist of:

1 4 5 and 8

2 3 6 and 7

The higher rank can choose position or machine first. The scoring of 4 2 1 0 will stay the same and after 3 matches the top 4 cumulative point scores will move on to the finals. the finals will be played the same. Only the machines used during the open rounds can be chosen for the finals.

Payouts:

Top Qualifier $50
Top Female Qualifier $50

1st 40%
2nd 25%
3rd 15%
4th 5%
5-8th 3.75%

Participation:

Anyone can play. Pre-register with me at a weekly or show up the day of the event.

Machines:

Demolition Man
Johnny Mnemonic
Whirlwind
The Addam's Family
Congo
Medieval Madness
Twilight Zone
Monster Bash
High Speed: The Getaway
Dr. Dude
Pinball Magic
Party Zone
Dropshot

Complaints!

Postby ROM on Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:45 pm

top female qualifier? That worked in the past, and it's still happening at shorty's (where the guy running it is a raging sexist), but I kind of feel like we should attempt to not act like the other gender is a separate category. Pinball should be a gender-neutral activity (unlike, say, basketball). And we've had tons of ladies out lately, and doing well. Do they really need this tip of the hat? Ladies - weigh in!

Also, is the team aspect gone only because we want boints?
I was excited for a good ol' fashioned rumble. Now this is just a battle royale.

I mean, I like boints and all, obviously... but, like, when CFF battled OOO a year or so ago, we didn't care about boints, and it was still fun and still meaningful. The whole point of this rumble was to be a team tournament.
Vibe Police
ROM

Postby FHF on Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:11 pm

I think that the problem is Eric and I have 20+ people that wanted to play, but we needed even teams...... It seemed pretty lame to exclude a bunch of people who were interested and play tournaments every week. We'll definitely do the team tournament in the future, but we're going to have to figure out some different teams. Alternatively, we might try and do something with 4 teams. Maybe CFF, OOO, and whatever else we can come up with. I'd definitely put together a team of people who live in Woodstock that would be pretty solid. Also, I still think Portland vs. Seattle would be an epic showdown. I'd go up to Shorty's for that, but if we win they're coming down here next time!
Win as if you were used to it, lose as if you enjoyed it for a change. - RWE
FHF

Postby ROM on Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:48 pm

Then we need you jokers to start an official crew, and then we can pretend there are rivalries between us, and then we can rumble!!!

We're the only fucking crew in town. We need to assert our dominance!
Vibe Police
ROM

Postby Dropshot on Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:10 pm

So the tourney was not changed to get boints or any other reason besides the fact it got a little to big to have it just be a rumble between two sides. I talked to Josh, it will be worth boints. Approximately 25pts or so to the winner. I would like to and plan to throw a rumble of sorts in the near future that will be more low key and free, other than the shame of losing. That being said, I think this event will be a lot of fun. For those that say $30 may be to much, just remember that it gives you around 6-8 hours of very competitive and fun pinball action on top of the fact that you may win some money, beat your arch nemesis or just buy deathsave a shot of whiskey!
Dropshot

Postby Dropshot on Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:14 am

Apparently Keith needs some boints to stay atop the rankings for the 4th straight year. I sent him an invite, so we will see!
Dropshot

Postby deathsave on Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:42 am

good lookin' out, dropshot!
deathsave

Postby revtest on Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:03 am

I'm also turned off by the $50 top girl thing ( no offense ladies ) but you are taking $50 (that's 1&2/3rds entries) off the top of the prize pool for a prize that the majority has no shot at because we are men! Someday I hope the world can see that men are equal to woman! All joking aside I would like to hear what the ladies have to say on the subject, to me its like saying that a girl has no shot at overall top qualifier but that's just my 2 cents on it. I think gender specific prizes just looks bad in general, no matter how the majority feels someone is going to take offense to it.
REVEREND-TEST
revtest

Postby Legs on Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:10 pm

I'm a fan of anything that encourages more women to show up and play pinball, even if they feel they have no shot at the top prize. Yeah, pinball is a gender neutral sport, but a lot fewer girls play for whatever reason, and there are far fewer women who are highly ranked/playing at a really high level. There's usually 2-3 women at a weekly tournament, which is an increase but still way fewer than the dudes. So I think the sentiment is nice: if we want women to show up, if we want to make sure they continue showing up, dolla billz are good motivation. ...There's a lot of arguments to be made against that, some of which I agree with, but I figure I should just weigh in on the positive side since I think it's a good idea generally.

That said, I agree with Rev-Test that $50 is way too much. Some sort of nominal prize is a nice way to pump up the number of women and the level of competition, but really everyone should be competing against everyone and the more money available for the big winners, the better. $10? $15? I'd be more comfortable with that. But take my opinion with a grain of salt, because I'm just a lady. And if you want to give me the opportunity to make $50, that's fine with my wallet.
"Vrabel, on a bad luck streak and perhaps a little drunk, can't keep up." -The Willamette Week
Legs

Re: CFF VS. NON CFF (Includes Seattle + Keith!) Rumble

Postby ROM on Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:03 pm

Yes, let's do our best to make sure Keith gets the boints he needs!!

bleh, I'm pretty over this.
Vibe Police
ROM

PreviousNext

Return to Events