pinball for dogs, Humane Society benefit @ PAPA, 2.7.09

You have no life. Click here to get one!

pinball for dogs, Humane Society benefit @ PAPA, 2.7.09

Postby mgk on Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:22 pm

PAPA's 2nd annual Cupids & Canines Humane Society benefit

we're runnin Sit n Go style tourney qualifying at it this year
linkage: http://www.papa.org/cupids/2009/tournament.php

realize it's a stretch, bit of a distance for you PDX folk to trek seeing as it ain't the big show
August though... only 8(ok, closer to 9) months off!
mgk

Re: pinball for dogs, Humane Society benefit @ PAPA, 2.7.09

Postby bounceback on Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:43 am

hmm, you should alert the humane society nationally to the pinball community's willingness to help with stuff like this. actually, this is a great idea! pinball needs some help in america-- doing benefits is free publicity for pinball. get ANY organization interested in pinball-based fundraisers, and it's a win-win situation for pinball AND the cause. we could have satellite tournaments all over the place.

do you have some contacts on this thing? i'm sure there would be a showing for a portland sister event, and it would be great if it could turn into a happening in other cities too.

just another reason that every city should have a pinball chairperson on the city council.
bounceback

Postby mgk on Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:41 pm

don't have any specific contact info for you, but i'm pretty sure the whole thing is a local hookup. Kevin's an animal lover, so the PAPA/Humane Society connect is something he made happen on his own. i encourage you all to do the same sometime.

will tell you that in my experience writing press for the PAPA tournaments, and seeing the local stations/papers pickup the story, they usually tend to close out their reports with, "and a portion of the proceeds goes to the Washington(County) Area Humane Society" and then a little "oh, well see, have some fun for a good cause" type chatter

most definitely an effective means of courting positive attention
and i'm sure it works for more than just us, you know?

go for it, i'm sayin.
mgk

Postby LaughingOtter on Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:58 pm

Yeah, that's a most excellent idea! Pinball for Pooches, with a Lab (or similarly cute breed) with a pinball in its mouth (which can be PhotoShopped from a tennis ball) and the words, "Wanna Play?" under the picture.

I wonder how hard it would be to get Shorty's to host such a thing...

And you're entirely right about the pinball community needing all the good press (well, all the press, period) it can get.

Good thinking!
Pinball is a lot like programming, really. The reward for doing it well is the opportunity to do it again.
BEER AND PINBALL, DAMMIT!
LaughingOtter

Return to Events