[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 368: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3391: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3393: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3394: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3395: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
Crazy Flipper Fingers • View topic - 3/8 Billy Ray's Tourney

3/8 Billy Ray's Tourney

You have no life. Click here to get one!

Re: 3/8 Billy Ray's Tourney

Postby videomode on Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:01 pm

What is the deadline for tickets being sold? 8pm?
dennis
videomode

Postby Dropshot on Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:34 pm

Qualifying starts at 7:00 sharp. You must buy your entry prior to 8:00pm (1 entry per person) and everyone must complete their entry by 9:30.

If everyone showed up at 7:00 and just played there entries in a reasonable time manner we will have no problem finishing before 9:30. It's those people who may try to wait till the end to see what they need to get score wise that will possibly hold it up. That's why the 9:30 is implemented, also, so those waiting will just screw themselves by not finishing in time.

We will probably need a few volunteers throughout the night. I know myself, fred, jake, and dennis have offered some assistance in keeping scores but we may need a few more, just for like 15-20 minutes or so. It should be pretty casual.
Dropshot

Postby Opto on Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:12 pm

I'll be there . . . and I'm down to hold a clipboard for a bit.
"I hear the trunk shot on Theater Of Magic can be deadly."
Opto

Postby Dropshot on Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:31 pm

Thanks Noah.

Just a heads up. YES TO EXTRA BALLS! Still no deathsaves and bangbacks though.

If you forget and fail to flip more than one time, too bad.
Dropshot

Postby Dropshot on Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:54 pm

First off I know you have a huge smile on your face right now. Not just for the post, or for being a smart ass, or for knowing I would respond. Well maybe a bit of all of them.

A bangback can be performed from anywhere on the table, even SDTM. It is when any excessive force is used to propel the ball out from a drained area (below the flippers/outlane area) back onto the playfield. This could also be just a nudge while both hands are on the flippers.

A deathsave is when the ball is recovered from the right out lane by moving the machine to cause the ball to pop back onto the playfield.

A bounceback is the only legal move allowed when dealing with a ball being recovered from a drained area. The only way a bounceback is a bounceback and not a bangback is you did nothing to the machine physically to make the ball act in a certain order.

Most bouncebacks occur when a ball is draining down the middle from a right to left pattern. The ball strikes the back drain plate and bounce up towards the flippers. If you get lucky, it may come back into play. This is legal.

However, if you make any motion to try to guide or help the momentum of the ball it is illegal.

There ya go Steve, you got 15 minutes, then I get 15, then you....
Dropshot

Postby Dropshot on Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:16 pm

Yep. those are the exact rules. I should have thought of that. Anyway, my basic rule of thumb is if the player doesn't say 'woh, holy shit' or something along those lines out of surprise, then it is not a legal move. Also, if a machine is moved in any sort of manner it is not legal.

I also believe that most people that show up are not there to cheat. If a player does feel the need to cheat, by all means go right ahead. However, if caught, we go old school and beat them up. That has actually been discussed a number of times. Every conclusion has been to beat them up and empty their pockets.

And yes, it won't necessarily be an easy one to spot since we are not playing head to head. But people will most likely be watching while waiting for their turn next. There will also be score keepers keeping an eye on the matches. This is part of the reason why we are allowed to play EB's this time around, it might just be to hard to notice if someone played one.

I think the people will be able to casual flow the people just fine.
Dropshot

Postby Dropshot on Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:30 pm

I have never tried to pull off a bounceback. The only time I have actually ever gotten one myself is from mis-flipping my left flipper and then while telling myself I am stupid I look down the ball is rolling down my right flipper.

Basically, everyone knows what is legal and what is not. And if you are trying to argue why it wasn't, it probably was. There ya go, that's my ruling.

You argue, you lose!

I like that, may have to put that into the rules somewhere.
Dropshot

Postby Dropshot on Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:45 pm

Change of rules.

NO EXTRA BALLS

The machines seem to be spitting them out and it will take too long, and be unfair for those that don't get them.
Dropshot

Postby DannyBackglass on Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:51 am

DannyBackglass

Postby Opto on Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:26 am

"Shoot the safe".
Opto

Postby eric on Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:56 am

Who ended up winning?
eric

Postby ROM on Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:04 pm

Top 4:

Aaron
Fred
Mindy
Steve
ROM

Postby Dropshot on Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:06 pm

1 Aaron Nelson
2 Fred Franken
3 Mindy Bert
4 Steve Lampros
5 Eric Hill
5 Danny Backglass Belrose
7 Noah Davis
7 Pat Castaldo
7 Zoe Vrabel
7 Brian Giles
7 Ryan Gratzer
7 Jason Nagy
13 Ketch Decanter
14 Chris Rhodes
14 Isaac Ruiz
16 Dennis Brenhaug
17 Mike Smith PDX
18 Kris Fast
18 John Gimera
20 Chris Coyle
20 Jake McGhee
22 Bill Lascher
23 Jake Webb
24 Emma Eichhorn
24 Ben Applebaum
26 Kevin Kerr
27 John Stein
28 Miles Craig
Dropshot

Postby Dropshot on Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:07 pm

DonB beat Boss just after the tourney wrapped. On ball 1.
Dropshot

Postby ROM on Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:41 pm

I think Brian Giles is spelled "Bryan"... At least, that's what I remember seeing on his tickets. I could be wrong.
Vibe Police
ROM

Postby Dropshot on Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:50 pm

Yeah, I saw that on the tickets too. It was in WPPR as Brian, so I figured I would put it in the same and then change it after I ask him. In the H2H software it is 'ia', I think it would be safe to assume he knows how to spell his name though.
Dropshot

Postby Dropshot on Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:51 pm

So what did people think of this kind of format? The finals ran kinda late, but that also could have been the machines that were there too.
Dropshot

Postby Opto on Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:22 pm

I dug it - always fun to shake things up. Might have gone a little quicker if MB was working. I liked how the qualifying involved you playing against everyone elses scores and not just your opponents. Still think head to head is a good standard . . .
Opto

Postby PirateMike on Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:34 pm

I dig the idea, but I also agree it was a bit long and boring... Maybe it'd be a better fit somewhere with more tables, like C-bar?
PirateMike

Postby fathom22 on Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:20 pm

I was bummed to hear that MB was down for the tourny, Jake was there for a few hours Mon tuning until being driven out by the band on hand & his shift ending. He said he lost some Frankie switch screws when parts were moved to the pool table? but I was under the impression that it was still working. I sent Chris out there yesterday to finish up where Jake left off but he never mentioned to me (out in timbuck2 AZ) that the MB was not working :evil: Sounds like a cool format that would run fine with 5 machines (if all 5 were working of course). Congrats to the winners!

~MWM
fathom22

PreviousNext

Return to Events