2/22 Bog Tourney

You have no life. Click here to get one!

2/22 Bog Tourney

Postby Dropshot on Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:33 pm

Bar of the Gods (BOG)
4801 SE Hawthorne Blvd. Portland, OR 97215
Phone: (503) 232.2037

Single game, double elimination. $5 Entry. Starts at 7:00pm.

Line-up:

Monster Bash
Iron Man
Sopranos
Guns N Roses
Dropshot

Re: 2/22 Bog Tourney

Postby sauce on Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:22 pm

WCS is out and Guns and Roses is in its place.
sauce

Postby ROM on Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:19 am

How is that GnR display?
Vibe Police
ROM

Postby DannyBackglass on Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:13 am

Busted yesterday according to Jake.
DannyBackglass

Postby JDYeager on Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:11 am

GnR was turned off Monday night when I was there ~10:00....
JDYeager

Postby ROM on Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:37 am

Uh ok. So, if this machine isn't working for tonight, then we should move the tournament. We need four.
Vibe Police
ROM

Postby videomode on Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:04 pm

I agree if it's not working lets move the tourney.
dennis
videomode

Postby ROM on Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:07 pm

Hopefully sauce or logan will respond on this thread soon (& I'll text sauce now). But, in the meantime, let's think of backups. Vern? clinton st?
Vibe Police
ROM

Postby ROM on Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:12 pm

Sauce says they are going there to look at it around 4pm. And worse comes to worst, they may swap it out.

Does anyone know what the problem is? My guess is it's a display issue..
Vibe Police
ROM

Postby Qdub on Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:26 pm

Hey guys, well good old GNR is up to it's old shenanigans. I'm gonna see what I can do to fix the display. If it looks like it's not gonna be ready come go time I'll be swapping it out for Congo.
Qdub

Postby Qdub on Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:22 pm

GNRs working fine just played it for about 45min with no issues.
Qdub

Postby DannyBackglass on Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:53 am

Sweet tourny. Thanks for bearing with me. Zoe sweetest extra ball shot, ever. Incredible.

1. J.D. Yeager
2. Matt Fentress
3. Zoe Vrabel
4. Mindy Bert
5. Kris Fast
5. Jason Nagy
7. Dennis Brenhaug
7. Ryan Gratzer
9. Steve Lampros
9. Paul Kalk
9. James Edes
9. Danny (the guy who beat Neal Shatz) Backglass Belrose
13 Emma Eichhorn
13 Jake Webb
13 Ben Applebottombaum
13 Chad Darnell
17 Rachel Cooper
17 Isaac Ruiz
17 Mike Smith PDX
17 John Davis
17 Brandon Smith
17 PAT CASTALDO
DannyBackglass

Postby ROM on Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:40 pm

Hey guys!

I want to discuss malfunctions.

Back story: GnR had problems. The display was fine; the trough was not. At least three times last night the ball would fail to be fed from the trough to the plunger lane. This always occurred on player 2, ball 3, and always after player 1 had gotten a multiball on ball 3 (not sure if that's related, though). It happened to Isaac when he was playing against me, and even though the ball wasn't in the plunger lane, he picked "add a member" to start the multiball. After a couple of ball searches, it shot three balls up - with ball save over - and that was it. But for the other two times I witnessed this problem, the ball(s) were never located and auto-plunged.

The point: When this happened to SlamTilt and Steve, they opted - much to SlamTilt's chagrin - to have him start a new game and play one ball. This seems to me like a bad solution. In GnR, most of us spend time collecting band members, and most of us have the band member multiball lit by ball 3. You're putting yourself in a totally different position by starting fresh on ball 1. So, what do other people think here?

This happened to me and Legs (she was player 2), and we opted to both start over on a new game. We probably could have played GnR again, but we didn't want it to mess up again, so we played a different game. Starting a new game seems like the correct solution. I wasn't involved in the conversation during slamtilt and steve's game... but slamtilt got hosed, in my opinion.
Vibe Police
ROM

Postby videomode on Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:47 pm

I agree with you ROM. I did not here about the problem last night untlil slam tilt was already playing his start over ball but if it was me I would have called BS and demanded a different solution. I know some people say its pinball and that stuff happens but I honestly think they should have replayed on another game even though Steve had a big lead.
dennis
videomode

Postby FHF on Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:48 pm

Unfortunately......

3. Major Malfunctions
A major malfunction is a gameplay problem with a machine that results in the premature loss of ball in play in a fashion that is not a normal feature of the machine's gameplay. These may be unusual one-time events, or they may indicate a recurring problem that will need to be addressed by technicians.
Examples of major malfunctions include:
• The bonus count begins while the ball is still in play. This can happen if, for example, the machine loses track of how many balls are in the drain trough.
• A lit kickback fails to return the ball to play, ending the player's turn. This does not apply to other ball saving devices such as timed ball savers, ball traps, gates, or "virtual" kickbacks.
Any malfunction that results in the loss of one or more balls during multiball play, without losing all balls so as to end the player's turn, will only be considered a minor malfunction. Loss of Tilt warnings, without loss of ball, shall not be considered a major malfunction. Loss of any lit feature, running mode, or other gameplay specifics, shall not be considered a major malfunction.
When a major malfunction occurs, it is the player's responsibility to notify the scorekeeper, calmly and promptly. The scorekeeper will request advice from a tournament official. If the official(s) agree that the incident is a major malfunction, the player will be provided with one additional ball of play at the beginning of a new game, after the current game has been completed. No attempt will be made to re-establish the state of the machine at the time of the major malfunction. The player's total score on the additional ball of play will be added to his or her previous score, and the new game will be terminated.
If a major malfunction occurs early in the play of the first ball by the first player, tournament officials may rule that the current game is voided. Machine repairs will be attempted and the player(s) will restart their play without needing to track the previous score.
In the event that two or more major malfunctions take place during the same game, the current scores of the player(s) will be recorded, and the game terminated. Once the machine has been repaired, players will be provided additional ball(s) of play on a new game, as necessary to provide the correct number of balls of play for each player. Alternatively, tournament officials may choose to allow the affected player(s) to replay the game from scratch, and the higher score for each player will be recorded as his or her official score, except in any case where the original score was unfairly improved by the malfunction or was significantly increased during attempts to investigate or cure the malfunction. In the event that a recurring major malfunction cannot suitably be repaired, the failure must be treated as a catastrophic malfunction.
Under certain specific conditions, a major malfunction may be declined by the player. This must be approved by the tournament official, and must not result in a situation which provides an unfair advantage to the player.
Win as if you were used to it, lose as if you enjoyed it for a change. - RWE
FHF

Postby ROM on Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:51 pm

Huh. Maybe we shouldn't play on games that are repeatedly malfunctioning on ball 3.

And I guess you owe me one, legs. ;)
Vibe Police
ROM

Postby FHF on Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:57 pm

Rather than blowing up the board, maybe I should just post this. Briefly, this seems like a major malfunction. Since it was recurring, it's a catastrophic malfunction. Because no one was there to fix it, it becomes a disabled machine. The ruling here would basically be the equivalent of a finals round, so the game would be scrapped and restarted on a new machine. However, this would actually only apply to the second (recurring) time it happened :cry: So, I guess what I'm saying is everything was actually done properly. Still sucks though.
Attachments
Full Rules SS III V1-6.doc
(148 KB) Downloaded 466 times
Win as if you were used to it, lose as if you enjoyed it for a change. - RWE
FHF

Postby ROM on Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:01 pm

No, steve and slamtilt's game was the 2nd time it happened (if you count when it happened to Isaac).
Vibe Police
ROM

Postby videomode on Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:02 pm

So this was a Major Malfunction on ball 3. It sounds like the correct decision was kinda made except for the fact that it happened again later in the night and they decided to play a new game. So when it happened again to Zoe later in the night they decided to play a new game but when I asked Zoe about it earlier she said the right call was made ( which from reading the rules I guess it was). It's a confusing ruling but I guess Slam Tilt needed to make more of a complaint about the malfunction before starting his last ball and try to start over on a new game.
dennis
videomode

Postby videomode on Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:04 pm

See what happens Fred when you miss a tourney. Everything goes to shit
dennis
videomode

Next

Return to Events