[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3391: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3393: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3394: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3395: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
Crazy Flipper Fingers • View topic - Monthly Tournament @ The Alleyway! (Canceled!!!! :( )

Monthly Tournament @ The Alleyway! (Canceled!!!! :( )

You have no life. Click here to get one!

Re: Monthly Tournament @ The Alleyway!

Postby ROM on Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:57 pm

dropshot or someone, help me. I don't have a problem lighting extra ball on Doctor Who. But I'm not sure how to collect it. I've looked at the playfield, and I don't see EB anywhere on there. Help me please!

(of course, I have collected EBs... it just always happens when I'm not looking.)
Vibe Police
ROM

Postby eric on Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:40 pm

It's the lit inlane or outlane. I can't remember, but I think you can use the flipper buttons to change which lane is lit.
eric

Postby ROM on Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:19 pm

Thanks. Yeah I just went to alleyway and finally spotted those lanes. That's a rough EB, in my opinion - those outlanes are rough, and it's not exactly easy to aim for return lanes.

I still haven't figured out my strategy on this game. What seems to work sometimes is to start with #6 and then hit the upper flipper loop as many times as I can. If I can do the full W-H-O combo during that, then great. Then I go for multiball, and choose #7 for those ball launches (and sometimes #6 again, if he's lit). Today I did this and after starting the multiball with the center hole, I had jackpot at 200 million.

The next game I did basically the same thing, but my jackpots were way lower. So there was something going on in that first game that I'm missing. I don't think it has to do with REPAIR or with the Bonus X in the pop bumpers. One thing that happened during the game with 200 mil jackpots is that I got 23 loops, and completed the Ice thing (I can't remember what it's called) each time after each 10 loops. So maybe that contributed to my jackpot. But I kind of doubt it.

Maybe I should just go read the rules again. I glanced at them today while at work, but didn't read it all through.
Vibe Police
ROM

Postby eric on Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:07 pm

Sonic Booms do not contribute to jackpot values, however each shot up the "O" ramp increases the playfield multiplier by 0.5x, maxing out at 4x. If doctor 6 is spotted, each shot on the ramp increases the playfield multiplier by 1x. My guess is you hit an Emperor Dalek's Jackpot (50 million) with a 4x playfield multiplier.

I've been following the order suggested by Bowen Karins in his on the Pinball Database: 1,6,3,2,4,5 and lighting 7 whenever you're ready to go into the pre-multiball target mode. I don't think there's any reason to light doctor 7 until you've locked your second ball, since all it does is spot an extra target for each one you hit.
eric

Postby ROM on Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:38 pm

Yeah, I think you're right.

also, "spotting" just means choosing, right? you don't have to do anything else to "start" the doctor after you've picked him and then launched, right?

Is there any sort of Hurry-Up involved in the jackpot or the multiball? Like, after you've locked two, hit all those little orbs, and then you just have to hit one of the slots to start the MB, does the jackpot size drop if you take forever hitting the slot? Or does the jackpot drop if you take forever collecting it during multiball? I seem to be noticing many variations on the jackpot size.. and I'm having trouble figuring it all out. Maybe the order in which you hit the three slots during the multiball affects the size?
Vibe Police
ROM

Postby eric on Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:14 pm

Yeah, sorry, I meant when you choose the doctor at the beginning of the ball. He's active as soon as you launch - no additional shots are needed.

Yes, there is a time limit that applies to each jackpot level during the multiball (I can't remember how long - like 15-20 sec., I think). Jackpot values grow progressively higher with each one you collect (bronze, silver, gold, supreme...), however if you don't collect the jackpot within the time limit OR if you drain a ball, the current jackpot value will be downgraded. For example, if you're trying to collect the Gold Dalek and run out of time or drain down to two balls, the current jackpot value will be lowered to Silver Dalek. If the downgrade is the result of a drained ball, I'm pretty sure the timer resets. And of course, all of these values are affected by the playfield multiplier.
eric

Postby ROM on Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:43 pm

Thanks. And finally! After three jackpots are acquired and the line of orbs reemerge, are we supposed to just light them again so that the orbs drop down and the three holes are available again? I never get past that part. Seems to me like a super jackpot should be available...
not sure why I don't just read those instructions right now. somehow typing questions seems easier than doing that. plus maybe this info will be useful to others viewing the site.
Vibe Police
ROM

Postby eric on Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:09 pm

After you collect all of the Dalek Jackpots, the Time Expander returns to target mode and you must hit all 5 targets again to destroy the Davros' forcefield. According to the rulesheet, doctor #7 provides no help here so you must actually hit all 5 targets. Once you complete this, the Expander rises up and you shoot the three gates to score the Davros Jackpot (100 million). After this, the Expander returns to target mode and you must hit each target twice to get it to rise up again and shoot for the Double Davros Jackpot. I guess this continues on in the same pattern and maxes out at Triple Davros (which requires three hits on each Expander target!), but I've never been able to defeat the second forcefield. So long as you have your playfield multiplier up around 4x, you can really rack up some insane boints with the Davros Jackpots.

After rereading the multiball section of the rulesheet, I learned that if you shoot the center gate to initiate multiball you will begin one jackpot level higher than where you would have started at. ROM, I think this may have been why you were experiencing the random starting jackpot vaules. Also, the rulesheet says the time of each jackpot level is 10-15 seconds.

Does anyone have any good strategy for multiball on this machine? I've been trying to trap two balls on the left flipper and make all of the gate shots with right. This works out all right because successful gate shots are returned to the right flipper so you're always setting yourself up for your next shot. I just run into trouble making the gate farthest to the right - it's a pretty tough backhand shot.

And since we're way off topic on this thread, does anyone else think doctor #4 looks like Dylan circa Rolling Thunder Revue?
eric

Postby bounceback on Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:00 pm

that tip sheet from bowen kerins is really helpful if you already know the basic shots in the game. his tips on which doctors to light when, and why, are crucial. i'm not good at this game yet so i don't have helpful multiball advice. but i would think the problem with having balls trapped on the upper left flipper is that you're still holding that lower left flipper up, and if you need to make a save off a rebound, you then are likely to have to deal with dropping both those balls randomly down. i'd think you'd have better luck holding balls on the lower right flipper during the multiball. on most games you don't lose as many balls that way as you'd expect, and you can pass from the trapped balls more easily while still being able to bring them back under control if you want to. controlling the two balls coming back into play from the upper left flipper seems like a problem.
bounceback

Postby TheAlleyway on Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:23 pm

Tonight we are having our monthly tournament. It starts at 8.
TheAlleyway

Postby ROM on Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:39 pm

Okay. Here is hoping for a decent turnout.
Vibe Police
ROM

Postby TheAlleyway on Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:21 pm

Sunday, Januray 25th there will be a tournament at The Alleyway. There will be two new machines. This week or next week they are taking out Indy, and Lord of the Rings and putting in Sopranos and Star Trek.
Some people suggested doing a double elimination random draw one hand tournament next time. I think that would be cool. If enough show up we can make the pot 100$ so each team can take home 50$ each. Swing by the Alleyway to pick up fliers. I will have them ready by tuesday. I am going to get some over to Ground Kontrol so Portland Pinball comes out.
Spread the word.
tournament starts at 8.
2415 NE Alberta St.
TheAlleyway

Postby bounceback on Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:41 am

cool, if that star trek is working that'll be fun. nice line up! doctor who and star trek make for some fun looping action!

when you talk to cashbox next, will you see if they'll consider posting a periodic update on all their games on location like QE does? it's great to know where that one favorite pin got relocated, or what they've rotated out recently at a bar you haven't been to in a while. we would also love to see them participate on portlandpinballmap.com with locations, service notes, whatever. it's supposed to be a useful tool for both players and operators.

looking forward to the tournament, that's the weekend after my birthday.
bounceback

Postby Dropshot on Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:34 pm

Split finger tourney this sunday it is gonna be sweet so get your asses up there
Dropshot

Postby ROM on Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:54 pm

Yeah!

Check the events calendar on the main page for big details.
Vibe Police
ROM

Re: Monthly Tournament @ The Alleyway! (Canceled!!!! :( )

Postby ROM on Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:58 pm

Um, apparently they are closed for renovations until the 30th...

Thanks for telling us, Nikki....

NOT.
Vibe Police
ROM

Postby TheAlleyway on Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:02 am

Sooo, I woke up this morning and remembered last night was the Alleyway's tournament. Sorry I forgot, I have been too busy living the dream collecting unemployment.

NOT

I dont know when the Alleyway is going to re-open. It sucks though that is for sure. Is anywhere hiring???? Yours truly is looking for a job kids.
TheAlleyway

Postby ROM on Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:35 pm

Aw, that sucks. You were our #1 pinball advocate at Alleyway! Now what will happen to those machines?!

I hope for the best for you and for that place (consistent hours, maybe a little more advertising, gigantic sign out front...).
Vibe Police
ROM

Postby TheAlleyway on Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:34 pm

I know man...
The one thing I wanted to do and never did was get some comment cards and let the owner see all the same feedback all the time from every customer. Everyone constantly said the same things to her to make it better and she never did squat.
The machines: I dont know.
TheAlleyway

Previous

Return to Events