Pricing?

Or, conversely, Trade/Sell/Buy

Pricing?

Postby Kraken on Sat May 21, 2011 6:30 pm

I have a couple machines that I want to sell, but being new to pinball, I really don't have a good idea what they're worth. I just want to get rid of them for a fair price. Can anyone recommend a good price guide? This one seems like a common one people go by, but it's a little old: http://www.bostonpinball.biz/eBay112310.htm

I have a Jokerz! in great playing condition. Everything works and I cleaned everything and put new rubbers in it. Pretty decent shape. I was thinking about asking $1000 to $1200 for it.

Also have an F-14 Tomcat that needs some work. I cleaned it and put new rubbers on it as well. It works, and plays okay, but there's a few issues. The right flipper is weak, and the pop bumper's light is out, and sometimes it seems like it doesn't activate the coil when it should. I've worked on both issues, but I don't know how to fix them. Also, player 3 and 4 displays don't work. It would probably take no time to fix for someone who knew what they were doing, but I'm no expert. Oh, and the top beacons are missing from the backbox. Anyway, I was thinking of asking $800 for it.

Are those fair prices? Any input is appreciated.
Kraken

Re: Pricing?

Postby sauce on Sun May 22, 2011 1:20 am

If I were to buy a Jokerz I wouldnt pay over a $1000, but thats might just be me, and $1200 might be a good start point. The F14 seems like a good deal at $800, keeping in mind that if those displays need to be replaced (and they may not need to be), that is going to run a little over $100 to replace both. Even so, $900 doesnt seem so bad for a nice f14, which seems to be one of the more popular system11 titles.
sauce

Postby Kraken on Sun May 22, 2011 7:33 am

Thanks for the input.
Kraken

Postby Opto on Sun May 22, 2011 6:36 pm

There was a working JOKERZ that sat on Portland CL for months at $800. In fact . . . I think it still pops up every once in a while - maybe it's $1000? You might have to wait a little bit, but maybe that's okay? F-14 is definitely more popular/valuable.

You can always post "or best offer". Post it at $1200 (way high if you ask me). Just don't be offended when someone offers you $600. You can always ask them what they're thinking they'd like to spend before you set up a time to meet - if it's waaaayyyyy below what you'd like don't waste either of your time. You can always take their info and let 'em know you'll wait for higher offers . . . if none turn up and you wanna let it go for $600 . . . you can call 'em.

http://www.pinpedia.com is another good ebay results site that is more up to date.

I think *the* most important thing when selling a game is full disclosure. With a few exceptions, every game I've sold has been recently shopped, and is working 100% (or darn close). I always try to tell a potential buyer the short comings, even if it's as trivial as a burnt lightbulb, nic in the backglass etc. That way they know what they're getting into (if they don't have enough sense to thoroughly look it over themselves. You just don't wanna be the guy saying "this thing is PERFECT", when it's anything but. I've bought plenty of games from people like that . .. and they suck.
"I hear the trunk shot on Theater Of Magic can be deadly."
Opto

Postby eric on Sun May 22, 2011 7:20 pm

The Mr. Pinball Price Guide is a handy book that's published annually.

http://www.xmission.com/~daina/pinlist_info.html

FWIW, prices from the 2009 guide for Jokerz and F-14 are $900 and $1100 respectively. These prices presume the games is fully working in like new condition.
eric

Postby inthecan on Mon May 23, 2011 7:24 am

Great to see this thread, I can tell you that I wish I read it about 1.5 yrs ago when I started buying machines as it would have saved me bit of learning curve time in regards to knowing what a decent and fair deal is.

I agree that full disclosure is the best way to go!

Happy hunting and best of luck to everyone out there that is keeping these machines alive and kicking :D .
I know this defies the law of gravity, but I never studied law! - Bugs Bunny
inthecan

Postby Kraken on Mon May 23, 2011 7:41 am

Thanks guys. I sold the Jokerz to my friend for about what I paid for it, so that's done. I totally agree on full disclosure as well.
Kraken

Postby kevin on Mon May 23, 2011 8:34 am

Have you rebuilt the flippers of the F14, or is it something more complicated? I ask because it would be worth buying the $25 kit (or less if you just buy a half kit) to rebuild them and make it easier to sell. People who don't work on machines would be really turned off by weak flippers. People who do work on machines will try to talk you down based on the weak flippers, even if they know that all it takes is $2 in parts.
kevin

Postby Kraken on Mon May 23, 2011 1:54 pm

I did replace the coil, but it didn't help. I should have done the whole thing, EOS switch, etc. but my soldering skills are lacking.
Kraken

Postby Opto on Mon May 23, 2011 7:42 pm

definitely pick up that iron.

"To own pinball machines . . . is to own a life of soldering"
"I hear the trunk shot on Theater Of Magic can be deadly."
Opto

Return to Buy/Sell/Trade