the standard

Locations to play. Make notes on the current status and quality of machines throughout town.

the standard

Postby bounceback on Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:52 pm

nice lineup but everything's gone to hell. seriously, who lets their junkyard, theater of magic, and midieval madness turn into total piles of dirty, broken, leaning shit? that's $15,000 worth of highly collectable equipment sitting there getting abused for no reason, when if they would just keep them in decent shape, this would be a frequent stop for me.

hey, anybody got a babe ruth rookie card i can wipe my ass with? those operators are idiots.
bounceback

Re: the standard

Postby ROM on Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:03 am

Their phone number is on the machines. I called one once to notify them about the leveling issues. The impression I got was that they were in a remote location somewhere (503 area code, but didn't seem very involved, given that I had to explain over and over where the Standard was -- you'd think they'd have this written down -- and also had to remind them mid-way through the conversation that we were talking about pinball machines). Given that the workers at the Standard seem into pinball, I don't understand why they'd go to shit.

Definitely lousy operators. Operating pinball machines did not appear to be a priority, and they did not appear knowledgeable (granted, this could have just been the guy I was talking to). I would love to play a good Junkyard.
Vibe Police
ROM

Postby Slingshot on Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:57 pm

Haven't been there since they had LOTR, Playboy...what's the latest lineup?
Slingshot

Postby bounceback on Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:30 pm

i haven't been either-- since i stood there once and listened to a guy that works there having a conversation with the operator and going through the exact same thing ryan went through, explaining step by step what was wrong with the tables and getting frustrated that they didn't even know what he was talking about. i went a week after that to see if they had fixed things, since i knew the bar had talked to them. the operator had come and done a terribly mediocre job levelling the games-- just enough that the backglass doesn't all visibly lean right-- and that was it. everything still played like total garbage, and was filthy dirty. real shame to see that. standard would be a prime meeting location, since it's right between north and southeast, has cheap booze, and a good jukebox. it's a cool place, just shit machines. hopefully they can whoever's running them now and get someone to look after those things.

FWIW the game tent at oaks park has a healthy junkyard, adams, and theater of magic. worth the pleasant bike ride down the springwater trail to rock some ball and watch roller derby practice.
bounceback

Postby Kickback on Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:25 pm

I met the guy who operates those, he was a cool old schooler.
There is nothing divine about morality; it is a purely human affair. (Albert Einstein, 1934)
Kickback

Postby bounceback on Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:04 am

the guy who operates the machines at oaks park? seemed like a decent guy, but when i asked him if he'd take the 2nd rubber off the slingshots on junkyard (or theater? one or the other) which was making the rebounds suck, he just shrugged. i pointed out the machines on either side with their correct single rubber. but whatever. everybody knows you're not supposed to doublestack rubbers, it just causes more friction and leads to unwanted abrasions and tears. ever seen the dudes that deal with the standard? they're probably tow truck drivers. biggest assholes known to man.
bounceback

Postby ROM on Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:08 pm

DDT has said, as has Bounceback, and I agree with them both - this place sucks at taking care of their machines.
Vibe Police
ROM

Postby bounceback on Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:32 am

does any other place in town have a decently playable junkyard? they used to have one at lil' cooperstown that was super fun. the one at oaks park has some weird rubber action happening but seems to be working ok-- but that's a haul, unless you're slam tilt commuting down the springwater corridor. i was at the standard a couple weeks ago to play and put up on theater but everything was still shitty. there was a hole in the bathroom wall but it was too small for my jammer. bad pinball and a half-assed gloryhole... what's the point? great place to get ripped drunk on stiff pours and the bartenders seem depressed. i do like that aspect of it, but i haven't been wanting to kill myself lately, so it hasn't been my vibe.
bounceback

Postby Dropshot on Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:40 pm

So there was a sign saying new better pinballs coming this monday. Also talked to the owner Reed? but he said he was getting Black Knight 2000, Black Rose and Twilight Zone. I told him good job on going with Ricochet but you should find a way to make room for a 4th machine. He seemed to be all for it and hopefully gets a fourth. Either way it will be a good line-up. But 4 is great.
Dropshot

Postby ROM on Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:54 pm

I was about to go there last night to play the Spider-Man. Maybe I will tonight. One last romp.
Vibe Police
ROM

Postby ROM on Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:37 am

I said my goodbyes.

And I welcome the new machines. This will be a sweet line-up. even with 3. And I live two blocks away!
Vibe Police
ROM

Postby Jeri on Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:23 pm

We're moving Twilight Zone and The Getaway in tomorrow. Black Knight 2000 and Black Rose will be a day or two later.

-Jer

PS. The Getaway is from Gypsy. They've asked it be replaced with Big Betties Truck Stop. hehe!
"You call it lowering standards, I call it a learning opportunity"
Jeri

Postby Dropshot on Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:30 pm

sweet tourney there next week maybe
Dropshot

Postby ROM on Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:03 pm

Ricochet - what are your feelings on wiping scores when you move a machine to a new location? Personally, I think it's a good policy. Conditions change from location to location- and it provides a fresh slate.
Vibe Police
ROM

Postby Ricochet on Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:08 pm

We put in The Getaway and Twilight Zone tonight. Black Knight 2000 will go in there next and Black Rose after solving some problems with it.
We were wondering if we should reset the high scores and replay settings, since floors, lighting and many other factors could make the machines play different.

Thanks,
Jeri and Trish
Ricochet

Postby Opto on Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:56 am

That's gonna be quite a lineup - can't wait to play 'em! Did you get the pop bumper laser mod on BK2000 working?
"I hear the trunk shot on Theater Of Magic can be deadly."
Opto

Postby ROM on Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:22 am

The TZ and Getaway are playing very nicely.

DDT put up a good GC on the Getaway last night, so maybe you shouldn't wipe that machine :P
Vibe Police
ROM

Postby Jeri on Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:04 am

Noah - I'm trying to shine the laser on a diffraction grating to make spokes radiate out. I might have to save it for another machine, since the alignment seems to be critical.

That score was awesome. Way to go! I guess we shouldn't clear it now. :)

-Jer
"You call it lowering standards, I call it a learning opportunity"
Jeri

Postby Ricochet on Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:14 am

We placed Black Knight 2000 in The Standard tonight. We spent hundreds of hours restoring this machine, painting the water damaged playfield and adding enhanced lights (no flicker). Jer didn't get the pop bumper mods done in time. :(

Hope you guys enjoy it,
Jer and Trish
Ricochet

Postby ROM on Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:44 am

Nice! Thanks. too bad I'm leaving town for ten days :( ... but, at the same time: 8-)
Vibe Police
ROM

Next

Return to The Machines