Duckett's Pub

Locations to play. Make notes on the current status and quality of machines throughout town.

Re: Duckett's Pub

Postby Dropshot on Mon May 11, 2009 4:36 pm

go down to slingshot, i got it at 1.1 bil
Dropshot

Postby Dropshot on Mon May 18, 2009 3:40 pm

Combo and I met Dustin the other day and am pretty sure we talked him into getting a 4th machine as soon as possible, also, got 1.019 bil on IJ4 came just short of GC however. Not sure who BAD is but that score won't last much longer.
Dropshot

Postby Qdub on Mon May 18, 2009 4:15 pm

From what I've seen of CV's for sale right now, I'm looking at paying collectors' item prices for good working machines. :( Prolly not gonna happen any time soon. Bounceback was right. I probably woulda spent way too much money for a headache had you let me keep on in ignorance...hardyharhar. I am still slowly spicing up the lineup so I'll keep an eye on some of the one's y'all have listed. Specific input on Creature? Did I gather it needs leveling? Still breaking in a bit I suppose.
I'd be down for a fourth machine. We talked about it when first doing the install but back then Dustin was still a bit squeamish about the whole pinball thing. Possibilities for replacement/addition include Spiderman and Pinbot (Voodoo Too???), Shadow, Dark Knight. I also have a CSI sitting in the shop that I'm sure all of you would love to see there... or I could just take donations and we could torch that fucker in the street and buy a few kegs and sit around talking shit about it. It'd be like a wake for a person everyone despises.
Qdub

Postby ROM on Mon May 18, 2009 4:23 pm

Thanks for the news.

I heard that the Creature started playing slower..... like, level-wise. But I can't personally confirm that. I do know that it was playing perfect before - it wasn't slow. The right ramp shot was almost too fast, in fact. There was no slow-down when it entered the left-inlane. It was hard to loop! but oh well.

I think Shadow would be cool. I like that game, and the one you guys have plays nicely.

Spider-Man would also be cool. Sopranos - maybe. It's a good game, but it's all over the place. My pick is Shadow, since it's rarer and also a lot of fun.

Last time I was there (last week) the Simpsons had ZERO ball save upon first plunge of a ball. Like, the ball save didn't even flash for one second. I don't think that's fair!
Vibe Police
ROM

Postby revtest on Mon May 18, 2009 7:06 pm

Shadow is a great fit there. I thought the creature was playing well the right ramp is fast as hell witch is kind of cool. I would so throw in on a CSI bonfire!

Bring that PINBOT to S.E. PLEASE!!!!!
REVEREND-TEST
revtest

Postby bounceback on Thu May 21, 2009 12:31 am

i'd love to see shadow and spiderman at duckett's. i've only played there a few times, but creature was always playing well. jay told me that it was leaning once when he went there, i've always felt it was pretty good. it plays differently than most creatures i've played, but i'm not going to complain about a game that's faster and more challenging. it's fun to loop the ramps in that game, but i like finding other strategies for it if that's not possible.

i don't dislike CSI anymore than any of the other new sterns, and you'll notice that people have talked shit about every new stern game that's come out, but later warm up to some of them. people panned batman when it came out, mostly because the software was so woefully incomplete, but now there are some batman apologists out there. it's still not my favorite, but it's ok. people HATED wheel of fortune when it came out, but a lot of serious players like it because it's challenging and there are multiple scoring options. IJ4 is hard to defend because it's so repetitive, but at least the gimmicks (huge multiball, easily repeatable shots) are entertaining for a couple of games at a time.

i don't personally hate CSI, or 24. put in CSI for 50 cents instead of indy, and i'll definitely play it a bit. i haven't spent that much time with it. for that matter i'd be into playing wheel of fortune more. i know 75 cents is a reflection of the cost of new games and the decrease in play in most of the country, but around here there are so many other options that even i rarely play 75 cent machines-- and i typically get a few replays, and also don't mind paying more to support pinball in general. i think the shots in CSI are fun, and though the game play is not that deep, it's not a cakewalk of a game, so it's as good as the last few sterns, in my opinion. i wish they would stop oversimplifying their designs, but we can't control that...
bounceback

Postby Kickback on Wed May 27, 2009 2:22 am

I think that the spot CFTBL is in is causing impossible leveling. It plays pretty good other than that. The floor looks off there. It would be awesome to trade places with one of the others. IJ4 blows anywhere. Simpsons was a good play.
There is nothing divine about morality; it is a purely human affair. (Albert Einstein, 1934)
Kickback

Postby Dropshot on Wed May 27, 2009 3:29 am

IJ4 does not blow!
Dropshot

Postby Kickback on Wed May 27, 2009 11:56 am

um, yes it does. badly. Worse than WoF. not worth playing, not even for one billion boints
There is nothing divine about morality; it is a purely human affair. (Albert Einstein, 1934)
Kickback

Postby Dropshot on Wed May 27, 2009 12:53 pm

It's a great game to practice ball control during MB.
Dropshot

Postby Kickback on Wed May 27, 2009 1:55 pm

Every pinball game is good for ball control practice. As well as every multiball. IJ4 is still shit. Quit thinking with your mustache.
Kickback

Postby ROM on Wed May 27, 2009 3:44 pm

CFTBL is leveled fine!

Last time I was there I finally didn't drain immediately after getting a jackpot (I feel like the last 20 times I've hit a jackpot one of my balls goes straight down right after). So I fed the balls up to the pop bumpers twice each... not sure what it got me, though. Is that how you eventually relight jackpot? Should I just look it up?!
Vibe Police
ROM

Postby deathsave on Wed May 27, 2009 5:05 pm

25 bumper hits, then the snackbar again for super.
This isn't a problem with tungsten bulbs because the filament remains red hot for a short duration after voltage is removed - long enough to appear lit persistently.
deathsave

Postby ROM on Wed May 27, 2009 5:53 pm

Ah. not bad. My first two passes through the bumpers only collected like three hits. I bet I got to 10 total. I'm getting there!
Vibe Police
ROM

Postby deathsave on Wed May 27, 2009 10:09 pm

CFTBL's make me REALLY REALLY pissy when:

- the saucer only registers once per ramp shot, making it a fool's errand to try spelling CREATURE before you go for jackpots.
- bumpers are soft enough that lighting the super takes more than a few shots.

bonus anger if i find a machine with both! lightning round if you throw in a tendency to rattle out on the center shot, because that gap between the flippers is a goddamned chasm! I NEED TO CALM DOWN NOW!
This isn't a problem with tungsten bulbs because the filament remains red hot for a short duration after voltage is removed - long enough to appear lit persistently.
deathsave

Postby Qdub on Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:16 pm

So I put in a fourth at Duckett's today. Lineup is now Family Guy, LOTR, IJ4, and Creature. I'm still looking for some more classics to add in to the mix. Don't hate on the Stern-heavy lineup too bad guys...
Qdub

Postby bounceback on Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:32 pm

alright, sweet!

i can play family guy, and i don't hate sterns. jay, i've never played the creature once that i thought the game was leaning, maybe its central location was causing you vertigo from the street lights and the bar lights... freaking far out, man.

IJ4 is not very fun, let's face it. i don't think learning to cradle 6 balls on your left flipper is going to come in handy on very many games. i already kick ass at spraying reflex shots all over the place during multiball until i drain. i don't hate indy-- it's always good for a time killer, and it's pretty forgiving as a way to practice super repetitive simple shots. it makes you feel like a ball control master to be able to hit whatever you want all day, and it's a good way to work on not only hitting shots, but hitting them at a particular angle, i.e. just dinking the left side of the captive ball so it riccochets into the scoop. but if i have other choices i'd only play indy for a change of pace.

and LOTR will probably remain one of my favorite games for a long time, it's one of the first games i got really good at and i love the theme, even though the shots are very familiar.

theme is so important-- i cannot play WOF as much as i appreciate that it's one of the more challenging recent games. if they would skin that game for almost ANYthing else i'd play it a lot. actually, if it were at ducketts instead of IJ4 i'd probably go up there and plug my ears and play it like that. the sound kills me, i want to stab the host and all the contestants in the throat with a harpoon.
bounceback

Postby Kickback on Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:13 am

Mark and I leveled it. It was fine last I was in there. But it gets moved easily
Kickback

Postby bounceback on Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:42 am

i don't trust your leveling, after eric and i played dr. dude after replacing the flippers, it was cool, but last saturday it was leaning right. i think one of your legs is shorter than the other.
bounceback

Postby ROM on Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:24 pm

Anyone know if the owners of Duckett's are at all associated with the old Paragon? My real question is: why do they play such crappy music in this place? They have an internet jukebox on auto-play, and it plays crap, and it chaps my mood. It's the little things like that. Turn down the lights a bit, play some better music, etc.
Vibe Police
ROM

PreviousNext

Return to The Machines