[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3391: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3393: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3394: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3395: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
Crazy Flipper Fingers • View topic - Pinball by the numbers

Pinball by the numbers

Talk about machines, scores, brawls, bonus multipliers, and so on.

Re: Pinball by the numbers

Postby Opto on Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:11 pm

"I hear the trunk shot on Theater Of Magic can be deadly."
Opto

Postby Dropshot on Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:18 pm

You should be asking Steve how your ass looks from 5 spots back compared to how Deathsave thinks it looks just under it.
Dropshot

Postby Opto on Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:25 pm

Steve will probably some more weekly boints together and re-pass me soon. I don't have to ask Deathsave - his mom already told me he loves the view down there :o
Opto

Postby ROM on Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:21 pm

Yup. It was good while it lasted. See you next year, Opto!
Vibe Police
ROM

Postby FHF on Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:12 pm

Good news everyone, I've devised an equation to predict your WPPR ranking based on the number of boints you have! I fit the data for the top 500 players using a two phase exponential decay model, where X= your current WPPR boints and solving for Y= your predicted world ranking.

Y=507*EXP(-0.01398*X)+1256*EXP(-0.08633*X)+14.55

or just replace X with your boints and paste it into an excel spreadsheet as =507*EXP(-0.01398*X)+1256*EXP(-0.08633*X)+14.55

It predicted me to be 146th, but I'm really 143rd. What's the point? Yeah, there really isn't one. Of course, that's what people said when Einstein published the equations for the theoretical foundations of the laser in 1917. Still waitin on that phaser.
Win as if you were used to it, lose as if you enjoyed it for a change. - RWE
FHF

Postby Opto on Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:18 pm

So what is the length of time predicted? For instance . . is the prediction for next year . . . next month . . . 2 years etc?
Opto

Postby FHF on Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:52 pm

FHF

Postby Dropshot on Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:09 pm

Close, got me at 48 but actually 55. I would need 20 lbs to actually be at 48, so I added 20 to the equation and it recalculated it to 40. Which I would need an additional 20 boints. I then put in Jorian's pt total and Keith's. For both of them it gave 14. So it's close but it seems the higher the boints the more it is off. I then put in Bounceback's 34pts at 401st and it came up 393. So it is fairly accurate. Have you figured out what number of boints will actually give out a 1st place with your equation?
Dropshot

Postby FHF on Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:02 pm

haha! Yeah, it works pretty well for most rankings, but it doesn't actually work very well when you get to the top. Actually, I think the problem was that I didn't set the constant at the end of the equation to 1!

That's why it kept putting people at 14! Here's a better one:

=425.6*EXP(-0.01122*X)+924*EXP(-0.06349*X)+1
FHF

Postby JDYeager on Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:50 pm

Only 3 places off for me; put me at 340 instead of 343.

BTW, greatest.thread.ever.
JDYeager

Postby Legs on Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:14 am

looks like it slightly overcompensates for lower ranked players and underestimates for higher ranked. like j.d., mine overstretches my pinball prowess a tiny bit...thinks i'm 265th when i'm 271st. this is kind of cool, but aren't you supposed to be curing cancer or something, not predicting rankings that are already calculated?
"Vrabel, on a bad luck streak and perhaps a little drunk, can't keep up." -The Willamette Week
Legs

Postby FHF on Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:55 am

hahaha! never underestimate the intellectually stimulating power of recreational mathematics! Alright, now for a bath. Eureka!
FHF

Postby ROM on Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:03 pm

Sweet. The first one was 1.7 below, and the second was 1.4 higher - for me. I'm 95th and SLIDING.
Vibe Police
ROM

Postby FHF on Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:14 pm

updated for showdown III. Surprising how consistent the numbers have been for this! My initial impression would be that the top 10 or so conceded a good chunk of boints to the mid 20's.

FHF

Postby FHF on Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:18 pm

I still like taking the top 12 for this!

FHF

Previous

Return to General