Pinball, 1973 Haruki Murakami

Talk about machines, scores, brawls, bonus multipliers, and so on.

Pinball, 1973 Haruki Murakami

Postby TheStandardNate on Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:18 pm

http://www.betz.lu/media/users/charel/pinball1973.pdf

Sorry if this has already been posted. I like this author a lot and was researching him because he has a new book out next week. Found this short novel and read it last night. Pretty good if you like pinball and whiskey.
"Well, there goes our Saturday night air hockey tournament."
TheStandardNate

Re: Pinball, 1973 Haruki Murakami

Postby ROM on Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:23 am

Yeah, it was posted before. But I can't remember if the text was included. I remember discussing that it's a very difficult book to find. Thanks! I'm looking forward to reading it.
Vibe Police
ROM

Postby TheStandardNate on Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:42 am

It is a part of a 4 book trilogy(?) called the trilogy of the rat of which I have read the last 2 and now Pinball. Pinball is the second book. It and the first book have never been published in the US, but you can get translated copies on Amazon for 25 bucks or so. The last 2 books are pretty dang good.
"Well, there goes our Saturday night air hockey tournament."
TheStandardNate

Postby jonnyo on Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:01 pm

I'll check it out, thanks Nate.

In semi-related news I read the book by Nik Cohn: "Arfur: Teenage Pinball Queen". Nik Cohn was a rock journalist and when he heard The Who's idea for a rock musical, he was like "meh". So they asked him "what if it had pinball in it?" He said that would be great. The rest is of course history.

As for Arfur, it's a meandering hodge podge of fantasy, new-ageism, materialism, and Disney jungle-cruise cultural surfacy stuff. Not really recommended. Probably give it out as a raffle prize at my next tournament.
jonnyo

Return to General