[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3391: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3393: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3394: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3395: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
Crazy Flipper Fingers • View topic - Pinball related jobs/gigs?

Pinball related jobs/gigs?

Talk about machines, scores, brawls, bonus multipliers, and so on.

Re: Pinball related jobs/gigs?

Postby inthecan on Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:15 am

Cool, sounds like DDT is going to try and make it on Tues as well - anyone else, NHM?
I know this defies the law of gravity, but I never studied law! - Bugs Bunny
inthecan

Postby nhm on Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:33 am

I should be able to make it.
nhm

Postby inthecan on Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:19 am

That was a good 1st meeting guys, looking forward to seeing how this evolves. Thanks for coming out.
inthecan

Postby coyle on Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:22 pm

Talked to DDT about this today, let me know what I can do to help. For those who are not hip to my writing style you can check it here:

http://www.altpress.com/features/entry/ ... _part_four

or here:

http://redfangband.blogspot.com/

Word.
The night life ain't no good life, but it's my life.
coyle

Postby inthecan on Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:47 am

Coyle, I've been enjoying your posts here on the board for awhile and the RF tour diary stuff is great! It'd be awesome to get a rundown from you of how you recently searched for pins all across the USA while on tour with RF, I am sure that would make for some great and very emotionally moving content. If you don't mind please PM your email and contact info. Thx!
inthecan

Postby JeffK on Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:31 pm

It's awesome you all are organizing this! I'd love to help with this project long distance, and maybe put my incomplete writing degree to some use besides snagging killer minimum wage jobs...
JeffK

Postby inthecan on Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:51 am

inthecan

Postby JeffK on Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:39 pm

You're either moving or have moved to the Denver area? It'd be great to get a report on what is happening out there.[/quote]

Definitely! I would be happy to write an article at some point. I could also do an interview, maybe someone that runs one of the pinball locations out here, or the mile high pinball league.
JeffK

Postby Legs on Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:38 pm

If y'all want a report from the south, I'd be happy to do something re: Bay Area pinball happenings.
"Vrabel, on a bad luck streak and perhaps a little drunk, can't keep up." -The Willamette Week
Legs

Postby JDYeager on Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:41 pm

Yo! I've been following this thread and am definitely interested in contributing content.

I'm out of town -- temporarily/indefinitely relocated to central Pennsylvania -- where I first learned to 'ball, and where so far I have found a grand total of 10 machines on location in a ~50-mile radius. (Man, I miss Portland....)

About an hour away is Downingtown's Pinball Gallery, which has ~20 machines and holds monthlies. I got to know the proprietor over a few games of Six Million Dollar Man last week and will be getting back there as often as possible, especially for tournaments.

I could write up some east coast reports or perhaps a few pieces on pinball legal topics....

jdyeager@mac.com 503.729.8475
JDYeager

Postby inthecan on Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:50 am

JD & Legs,

Good to hear from you both, I think that hearing about what is going on in The Bay Area as well as out East would be sweet and I'd especially love to hear more about Pinball Law. In fact one of the subjects I have been entertaining exploring more is Portland's pinball racketeering gangs of the 50's that were protected by then Chief of Police, "Diamond" Jim Purcell http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Purcell

I wonder how easy it would be to find someone here in Portland that was alive and involved in that scandal?

Legs, I'll be in SF from 12/17-12/20 so maybe we can meet up at some point at the PPM?
inthecan

Postby JDYeager on Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:27 pm

JDYeager

Postby eric on Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:49 pm

Someone just posted this to RGP. There was an article in Portland monthly a while back that talked briefly about pinball's seedy past.

http://www.portlandmonthlymag.com/arts- ... ng-0111/4/
eric

Postby inthecan on Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:08 pm

Eric, I saw that article too! So far, all I have been able to come up with online in regards to "Diamond" Jim Purcell and Portland's seedy gambling past has been exceptionally brief, time to start talking to some PDX old timers around town, any suggestions where to look or talk to? Kickback initially told me about the mention of the whole Pinball Gambling incident, apparently he read about in a book called, Portland Confidential Anyone got a copy of it?
inthecan

Postby nhm on Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:52 pm

Yeah, I bought that book for my wife a while back. Are you going to be around tomorrow around noon? I can probably bring it by then if you want. I haven't read it, but it's not too long.
nhm

Postby inthecan on Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:47 am

I should be home but I am getting ready to take off for Christmas travels, it'd be better to check it out after 12/28, thanks man!
inthecan

Postby inthecan on Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:17 pm

Just a general check in here about this project, I want to stir the pot a bit as there haven't been too many developments as of late. I put up a Google doc that folks are free to add to, at our last meeting we had suggested that by 1/7/2012 we would have our topics selected and then figure out how to proceed forward, roger.

Here is the Google Doc, the project is as of yet untitled but I gave it a working title of "PDX Pinball Zine Project" (hella creative, I know) Feel free to hack in and add some stuff, thanks folks!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/13HB ... n_US&pli=1
inthecan

Previous

Return to General