[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3391: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3393: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3394: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3395: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
Crazy Flipper Fingers • View topic - Pinball related jobs/gigs?

Pinball related jobs/gigs?

Talk about machines, scores, brawls, bonus multipliers, and so on.

Pinball related jobs/gigs?

Postby PinBill on Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:50 am

Okay, just throwing this out there,

Shockingly, the work of a freelance writer isn't always the most lucrative. Thus, I'm starting to keep my eyes open for part-time opportunities to augment my income. I've been thinking that a gig related to pinball could be one direction to look. I know it's far from a booming industry, but perhaps there are opportunities with bars/operators/arcades/collectors or something else I haven't considered. I know I won't find a job actually, you know, playing pinball, but it would be good context for doing work in an area outside my writing and editing world (though if anyone needs those services, I'm your man). Though I'll probably have to learn some new skills in some venues -- I've been in newspapers or at school most of the past decade, but I've worked a host of other jobs -- I'm pretty eager to do so. Besides, perhaps I can help some business with communications, or social media, research or any number of general office duties. Know anyone? I'd also love to learn how to repair and service machines, though I understand folks might not want to train someone on the job.

I realize that we all want jobs -- or better ones -- and that we'd all love to get paid for pinball related work, but hey, why not get the word out? It might just allow me to earn more goldies for you all to win from me.

Even if no one knows of any jobs, I'd be curious to know what sort of jobs are involved in the "business" of pinball just to satisfy my own curiosity.

Thanks1
PinBill

Re: Pinball related jobs/gigs?

Postby PinBill on Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:55 am

Of course, if someone DID want to pay me to play pinball, I wouldn't say no.
PinBill

Postby TheStandardNate on Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:26 pm

Greenpeace is hiring for a grassroots organizer in Portland.

Experience is preferred, but not necessary.

I have been with GP for 5 years and have seen many folks get hired for this position who are just ultra smart and strategic, but have no experience.

http://www.greenpeace.org/usa/en/about/ ... -Portland/

Your media background could be really helpful.

limited pinball involved.
"Well, there goes our Saturday night air hockey tournament."
TheStandardNate

Postby PinBill on Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:31 pm

Thanks, Nate,

I'm actually serious about something that's at least tangentially pinball related (which is why I posted here). Also, I appreciate the interest in my media work, but since I write about environmental issues as a journalist, I'm not in a position to do media (or any) work for an advocacy organization (or related business, etc.).

Can we get the grassroots organized to play pinball?
PinBill

Postby inthecan on Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:38 am

I suppose you could always try your hand at the self employment model, set up your own pinball blog and plug in the CFF site, PPM and perhaps other NW Pinball related orgs and even places like Marco Specialties, ect. If you did a good job I bet getting some PDX venues to kick in for some ad space and such might be possible. Look at what they did with Portlandfoodcarts.com for instance http://www.foodcartsportland.com/ might lead to other opportunities down the road in the industry as people take note of the work you are doing, it certainly couldn't hurt.
I know this defies the law of gravity, but I never studied law! - Bugs Bunny
inthecan

Postby PinBill on Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:42 am

That's an awesome idea! I've been kicking around an idea like that for fun, but haven't pulled the trigger. This is a good reminder.

Thanks.
PinBill

Postby inthecan on Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:52 am

You should do it, I really think Portland could use something in the vain of Seattle's Skillshot, ever seen that zine? http://www.skill-shot.com/
I'm sure folks such as myself would be down to help out doing some video/photos for it and heck, I can even write a bit. Are you here in Portland?
inthecan

Postby PinBill on Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:30 am

Yeah, I have seen skill shot (and want to subscribe). It's great. I'm definitely here in Portland and I've kicked around similar ideas fro a bit. I'll be sure to post here if/when I get my first post up.
PinBill

Postby inthecan on Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:20 am

Yo, any progress? We should chat it up sometime about pinball related media stuff, please email me at karl@inthecanllc.com when you get a chance, thx.
inthecan

Postby DDT on Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:13 am

I would be VERY interested in creating a "zine" I have a friend who owns an awesome print press and would be sympathetic to our low budget...... Just a thought.
DDT

Postby inthecan on Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:00 pm

A great idea! A zine project could be perfect for a small Kickstarter project to help fund it or maybe even throwing a casual tournament or two where 50% or more of the pot could go towards the printing costs. Pinbill, what up!

inthecan

Postby nhm on Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:30 pm

I'd love to contribute or help organize this. I have a BA in journalism that has done nothing but collect dust for 10 years.
nhm

Postby inthecan on Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:41 pm

Let's roll!
inthecan

Postby PinBill on Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:47 pm

Awesome! I love the kickstarter idea.

Sorry I've been AWOL. I was travelling Monday and meeting deadlines yesterday and most of today.

I already have some experience with Kickstarter. I've been setting up a book project through it (though i'm holding off until I consider traditional publishing) and I've contributed to a few. I've also done other crowd-sourced journalism, like this piece I did last spring: . Kickstarter's not the only possibility, too. There's also indie-go-go, or we could think of some other model.

But let's talk about cool things we could do. Glad to see there's some energy for something. I haven't gotten very far with the blog but this renews my passion. I don't think the two ideas are mutually exclusive, though, and I'd love to brainstorm about more ideas.

I have the writing and editing (and interviewing) chops, as well as pretty good photography and multimedia skills for anything online. I also have some layout skills zinewise, though it has been a little bit since I did that. Finally, I have a pretty deep bench as far as support and publicity goes. But it will be fun to just get something out, and I'm sure it will be well-received with Portland's pinball community.

I'll be in touch, and let's all discuss it soon.

-Bill

P.S. I have a few good photos from Pintoberfest. I'll share a gallery for them a bit later today.
PinBill

Postby TheStandardNate on Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:26 pm

I would love to get in on this as well.

My boss owns a book store in Denver called Kilgore books and he has been bugging me to get a pinball zine/publication going.

I would love to write a BS blog/small article about the best type of whiskey to drink while playing a certain machine.

It would really just review a machine and a whiskey at the same time, but I think people would dig it.
"Well, there goes our Saturday night air hockey tournament."
TheStandardNate

Postby PinBill on Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:38 pm

That sounds fun, Nate.

I brainstormed a few ideas like that today. There could be some entertaining regular "features" of that sort. Karl and I have just started talking about this and there are some others interested, so it sounds like we could get something fun together.

-Bill
PinBill

Postby inthecan on Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:46 pm

If it works for folks I suggest that anyone interested in helping out on this endeavor meet up next week for a semi-formal informal brainstorming session, anyone got a suggestion for a spot? I am going to throw The Standard out as being a possibility, currently pretty much any day but Monday would work.

- Karl
inthecan

Postby PinBill on Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:51 pm

Wednesday and Thursday aren't great for me, but all things being equal I'm okay with Wednesday as long as I"m out by 8ish. Most days I'm fine with anywhere and prefer east of the river, but if we did do Wednesday I'd prefer Slabtown. I'm still flexible, though.
PinBill

Postby inthecan on Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:38 am

Ok, well then maybe we can all meet up around 5pm Tuesday on Dec. 6th before the weekly at Billy Ray's?
I have yet to participate in one so why not attempt to kill two droptargets with one ball? Billy Ray's of course has that nice dive bar/clubhouse feel upstairs, if we are wanting grub we might want to go elsewhere as I seem to recall Hungry Man being on the menu...

After we meet up and brainstorm some more I think it'd be a good idea to draft up a treatment/timeline for this project on Google docs or a similar online info repository, this board is rad to communicate with each other about what is going down but I think we could also use a central hub for the ideas to continue evolving. Looking forward to meeting you all in person and getting some creative energy flowing! :D

Let's list our emails + numbers

Karl Lind karl@inthecanllc.com 503 407 3161
inthecan

Postby PinBill on Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:01 pm

Sounds like a good plan. See you on Tuesday.
PinBill

Next

Return to General