Mylar removal

Your machine is ugly because you took bad care of it. Now what?

Mylar removal

Postby Hayden on Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:06 am

Do any of you have preferences for mylar removal?

I've watched some videos on youtube where people use freeze spray (for example, Jeri).

I've also read this website http://pinball.flippers.info/mylarremoval.asp where the person uses Goo Gone.

Here's what I need to remove:

(1) I'm working on a Flash Gordon which has one large piece on mylar cut to fit the upper playfield. It's already peeling in a few places and taking paint with it. This must be removed so I need to pick one method and try it.

(2) It also has one giant piece of mylar covering the entire lower playfield. It doesn't have to be removed but if the upper playfield goes well, then I would like to remove the lower mylar too.

(3) I also have semicircles in front of the slingshots on a Williams Flash which I'd like to remove but I don't think it's necessary.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Hayden
Hayden

Re: Mylar removal

Postby Opto on Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:17 am

Have never removed Mylar, so take this with a grain.

How does that art look beneath the Mylar?

How does the lower PF on Flash Gordon look? If it's Day 1 mylar, I say leave it there - Day 1 mylar FG's are few and far between... Depending on how bad the mylar is peeling above, you can always trim the peeling edges with a razor. I did this on my Mousin' Around and it worked great. Buffed the hell out of the mylar with Novus 2 and it shines up pretty good. Not as good as clearcoat, but hey - i didn't have to remove it (and risk destroying the pf).

From what I've read, you should only remove mylar if you're prepared for the worst
"I hear the trunk shot on Theater Of Magic can be deadly."
Opto

Re: Mylar removal

Postby eric on Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:32 pm

Search RGP for "mylar removal." Many threads, many more opinions.

People seem to have good luck with the freeze spray method, though the adhesive that's left behind is a bit of a bitch to clean up. Dennis and Jake used a hair drier to remove some operated installed mylar on my Centaur PF with zero artwork lifted.

Do not attempt mylar removal unless you're prepared to touch up and clear. This is especially true with pre-Diamond Plated playfields.
eric

Return to Repair and Restoration