[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3391: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3393: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3394: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3395: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
Crazy Flipper Fingers • View topic - ask a tech

ask a tech

Your machine is ugly because you took bad care of it. Now what?

ask a tech

Postby autofire on Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:00 am

so i know some techs might fancy this site. ive got a bunch of questions, like is it alright to put a 6.25 amp 250 v fuse where it calls for a 6 amp 250 volt? checkpoint definetly has more juice. so lets put some questions up and hopefully get some answers!
autofire

Re: ask a tech

Postby eric on Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:09 pm

Those ratings exist for a reason. Replacing a blown fuse with a higher rated fuse is generally a bad idea. Also, where is there a 6A fuse in Checkpoint? I just downloaded the manual and can't seem to find one on the fuse list.
eric

Postby autofire on Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:20 pm

um the fuses are behind the backglass. its the one that controls the flippers and 2 other auto shots. my last one blew and they didnt have excatly what i needed s i got a 5a and te 6.25a. i put the 5 in and it worked but was weak. last night i couldnt take it anymore so i put the other one in, crossed my fingers and shazam more power on them flippers. thats weird that there isnt one listed i just took the blown one with me to the store. im happy, but i hope it doesnt explode.
autofire

Postby eric on Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:49 pm

Fuses do not resist current, they protect against too much of it. If you're noticing a change in flipper strength after swapping out a good (ie not blown) 5A fuse for a good 6.25A fuse it could be the result of damaged/corroded contacts on either the 5A fuse or the fuse holder itself. It could also be a bad solder joint between the fuse holder and the board. If any fuse is blowing regularly, it's almost certain there are other problems that need to be addressed beyond simply replacing the fuse. Also, I'm assuming you're aware but in addition to current and voltage ratings, fuses are also classified as slo-blo and fast-blo. It's essential you have the right one installed.

I recommend you get a copy of the manual for your game (you can download one from the ) and verify you have all the correct parts installed in your flipper chain and that things are properly wired. This includes checking the fuses on the PPB in the backbox, the fuses on the solid state flipper board inside the cabinet (also give this a good visual inspection as components can be damaged if the playfield is pulled out carelessly), and correct flipper coils (properly wired with diode band facing the right direction).

If the problem persists once you confirm the correct parts are installed, you can begin troubleshooting the individual components. has a very thorough list of steps for troubleshooting flipper problems on DE machines, though before doing any work on your machine I HIGHLY recommend you read his article on beginning pinball repair . I'd also recommend searching the group and look for people reporting similar problems and see what their solutions were. Between these two sites, I've been able to fix every problem that's come up with my machines.

I hope this information helps.
eric

Postby autofire on Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:22 pm

so i need to replace the coils that make the flippers so flippin fantastic. ive never done that and my soudering iorn is a piece of shit. the coils that are on there just have a brand name " the ultimate flipper" and i cant seem to find that, and i dont know anything about the coils. help me pinball world!
autofire

Postby eric on Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:52 am

Update: Autofire and I looked at his Checkpoint tonight and got the flippers going strong. Not sure if this information is helpful to anyone, but here's what we did:

-Flippers were very recently rebuilt, so we knew worn parts weren't the culprits.
-Being the first generation of DE's solid state flippers, there is no end of stroke switch to check. Another usual suspect eliminated.
-Checked coil resistance. Both coils read good at around 4.5 ohms.
-Checked fuses on the flipper board. Replaced a blown hold fuse for the right flipper.
-Powered up, checked flipper strength, still weak.
-Checked fuses again on the flipper board to confirm newly replaced fuse did not blow again. All four checked out OK.
-Checked flipper calibration. Both where a little high, and lacked enough up/down play between the flipper pawl assembly and bushing.
-Re-calibrated flippers.
-Flippers strength increased.

Lesson learned: flipper calibration makes a big difference. Make sure your flippers are properly aligned have the required amount of up/down play so the bat isn't getting squished against the bushing (usually around 1/16").
eric

Postby autofire on Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:39 pm

HOLY CRAP! Checkpoint is playing better than ever. Thanks Eric!
autofire

Postby autofire on Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:09 am

Mars god of war has this problem with the pop bumpers blowing fuses and then refusing to work! I just put new fuses in 2 weeks ago and turned it on and no pop bumper action!
arrrrrgggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh
oh and thats why I sucked so bad in the pinbrawll!
autofire

Return to Repair and Restoration