Williams system 11 display repair

Your machine is ugly because you took bad care of it. Now what?

Williams system 11 display repair

Postby nhm on Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:43 pm

I just got a Whirlwind and was planning on replacing the display due to burnt out segments. Upon closer inspection, the segments appear to be fine. it turns out that there are specific segments in specific letters that will not display no matter where they are positioned on the display. I found this in the pinrepair guide:

Partial Segment Failures on Score Displays.
Sometimes only parts of a display aren't displaying, and only on certain numbers. For example, the top part of a "0" or "7" are not displaying. It can even be so strange so that the missing segment will work on some numbers or letter, but not on others.

"This can be caused by one of the hex input buffers at U10, U11, U15-U18 (14050 or 4050) on the Alphanumeric master display board, which are CMOS chips and static sensitive. You can check these with your ohm meter. Connect one lead to ground, and the other lead to each input/output pin of the 4050 chips. Any pin that doesn't read the same as the others probably means the chip is bad. Sometimes you'll have to test these chips with an analog ohm meter, and watch the needle "bounce". A pin that doesn't "bounce" like the others again probably means that chip is bad."

So my question is, do you know of anybody who repairs these display boards? I can't find much info on the web. If there is somebody locally that can repair this please point me in their direction. I'm guessing it's going to be a whole lot cheaper than replacing the entire display.
nhm

Re: Williams system 11 display repair

Postby revtest on Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:10 am

I can test that out for you, is that the Whirlwind Karl had?

PM me.

-Jake
REVEREND-TEST
revtest

Postby Joey9Fingers on Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:20 pm

nhm...it sounds like the book explains it in detail, where I get thrown off is that I am not a very "electrical" guy...so I don't know where to find the replacement chips or what to even call them. Sounds like REV has you covered though. Good Luck.
Joey9Fingers

Postby nhm on Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:43 am

We actually figured out that there is nothing wrong with the display. It is a Rottendog and the one installed on my Whirlwind is for either Taxi or Police force. There are certain resistors that are clipped off to run those games. I just need to reinstall those resistors to make it fully functional with Whirlwind.
nhm

Return to Repair and Restoration