[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3391: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3393: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3394: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3395: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
Crazy Flipper Fingers • View topic - Comet Flipper Rebuild

Comet Flipper Rebuild

Your machine is ugly because you took bad care of it. Now what?

Comet Flipper Rebuild

Postby TheStandardNate on Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:58 pm

I am doing my first flipper rebuild on my Williams Comet. My kit came with everything but the coil, 23-600-30-2600. I have replaced all the other parts and am still having the weak, kinda of just half dead flipper flip. Does this mean I need to order a coil? Could it be something else?
"Well, there goes our Saturday night air hockey tournament."
TheStandardNate

Re: Comet Flipper Rebuild

Postby revtest on Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:53 pm

Could be a spent coil. when you replaced the coil sleeve was it hard to get out? did you test the resistance of the coil?
REVEREND-TEST
revtest

Postby TheStandardNate on Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:08 am

The sleeve was very hard to pull out in comparison to the other flipper. I did not test the resistance.
TheStandardNate

Postby eric on Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:45 am

If you had to force the coil sleeve the coil has become misshapen and needs to be replaced. You might also need to tweak the EOS switch so it remains closed further into the stroke. For maximum strength, it should remain closed as far into the stroke as possible. Also make sure the contacts on your cab switches aren't pitted.
eric

Postby oneandasixtenth on Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:31 pm

or your EOS switch . make sure it aint pitted ,
use a file of better yet use a finger nail file from Eric's nail kit ... sand the tungsten flat and square work it down do a fine sand , real smooth

replacing the flipper bushings are good and cheep and will keep the unit running smooth
oneandasixtenth

Postby TheStandardNate on Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:08 pm

Why the little jabs at Eric? You just said mostly the same thing as him, but he spelled everything correctly. Just ordered a WES51 soldering iron.
TheStandardNate

Postby TheStandardNate on Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:36 pm

So I just did the rebuild on my Jokerz as well. Waiting to get my soldering gear to replace the coil on Comet. I am a little freaked on by the EOS switches on both machines. I am gonna do some Google research, but any help would be great. On Jokerz it looks like I need to do a little soldering to get it done. On Comet I just don't understand exactly how things are meant to be positioned. I am happy to chill out on this and finish shopping and cleaning Jokerz until I get my soldering stuff. Anyone mind coming over sometime this weekend and supervising my learning ass? I will provide beer.
TheStandardNate

Postby Opto on Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:05 pm

I'm in - I can't remember if those are supposed to be "normally open" or "normally closed" - Either way, you want the actuator from the flipper pawl to wipe the switch (closed or open) by about an 1/8 to 1/4". This cuts the high power (which the coil uses to flip) and engages the low/hold power ( which keeps the flipper in the up position without burning it out). If the EOS does not engage the coil will stay on high power and burn out. I can help tomorrow or sometime this weekend.
"I hear the trunk shot on Theater Of Magic can be deadly."
Opto

Postby TheStandardNate on Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:20 pm

Thanks a ton. Maybe late Saturday afternoon? Sunday? I am open for whatever works best for you, but need to tear into a bunch of work tomorrow.
TheStandardNate

Postby revtest on Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:27 am

hit me up when you guys have a time and date I'll stop in. I'll have my Iron if you have not gotten yours yet.
REVEREND-TEST
revtest

Postby eric on Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:44 am

Dude, that's why your flippers are still weak - you didn't replace the EOS's!

They're normally closed on both machines. Sounds like your Comet still has its original series wound coils though, so take note the EOS's are going to be wired differently than those on Jokerz. If you didn't replace that misshapen coil yet, I have a few spare parallel wound 11630s you can have. Changing over to parallel wound coils would make it so the EOS's don't arc as badly and therefore last quite a bit longer.
eric

Postby TheStandardNate on Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:43 pm

Does Saturday at 330 work for folks? I just got my iron. If I attempt to solder the flipper coil on what temp should I use?
TheStandardNate

Postby eric on Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:07 pm

I usually solder coil lugs around 700-750 degrees. You basically want to use the lowest temp that gets the job done. If you're having a hard time getting the old solder to melt, try flowing some new solder on top of it.
eric

Postby eric on Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:10 pm

And this might be old news, but you want to use 60/40 (or thereabouts) rosin core solder. I usually buy 0.032".
eric

Postby TheStandardNate on Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:33 pm

So I just raised the temp until I found a good point. Just put the coil in, it is def the EOS switch keeping the flippers weak. I am looking at the set up and am gonna start taking stuff apart and see if I can put it back together.
TheStandardNate

Postby TheStandardNate on Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:39 pm

Thanks to Noah for coming by and helping out. Comet and Jokerz are playing great. How douchey is it if I buy Black flipper and shaft assemblies and green rubbers for all of my machines?
TheStandardNate

Postby videomode on Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:17 pm

dennis
videomode

Postby Dropshot on Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:14 pm

You could then put the machine in at Cbar and let it turn to shit.
Dropshot

Postby TheStandardNate on Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:16 pm

I have actually just decided to use a black sharpy on all of my flippers and use many green rubber bands to build my own rubbers.
TheStandardNate

Postby revtest on Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:05 pm

Sorry I didn't make it by glad you got em up and running. Can I ask why black and green?
REVEREND-TEST
revtest

Next

Return to Repair and Restoration