Road Show shutting off

Your machine is ugly because you took bad care of it. Now what?

Re: Road Show shutting off

Postby Kraken on Sat May 21, 2011 8:44 am

So, I was checking C9 again this morning, and the machine turned back on. I feel like maybe bumping the C5 capacitor thing caused it, but I'm not sure. Wiggling everything around C9 doesn't do anything. Is there anything I can test while the machine is working, or should I just wait until the problem happens again?
Kraken

Postby Kraken on Sat May 21, 2011 6:00 pm

I've played it for a couple hours now, and it hasn't happened again. I'll update if/when it does do it again.
Kraken

Postby Kraken on Sat May 21, 2011 11:07 pm

Well, it happened again. I was playing for a few minutes, then I shut the machine off to reset it so I could get 2 player going. When I flipped the switch again, the machine didn't turn back on. Just some of the led's in the back cabinet were on, as before. Ugh, this is frustrating...
Kraken

Postby eric on Sun May 22, 2011 7:28 pm

I would pull the board and reflow the solder to J101, BR2 and C5. If the problem persists, replace BR2 and C5.

What kind of soldering iron do you have? So long as you're careful, reflowing solder is as basic as board work gets. You simply need to heat up the solder until it becomes molten and remove the iron. If the solder is being stubborn, sometimes it helps to flow a little new solder on top of the old stuff.

If you want something to practice soldering on, I have a scrap display board that you can have.
eric

Postby revtest on Sun May 22, 2011 8:17 pm

Is that the board I have Eric? I can come by sometime this week if you would like? set you up with a practice board and show you a few things. we should be able to take care of it easy. text me we will put it together I'm gonna be working on pins all week any way in SE so give a call.
REVEREND-TEST
revtest

Postby Kraken on Mon May 23, 2011 7:36 am

I have a couple of soldering irons, but neither one is that great. One was super cheap from Harbor Freight, and the other is battery powered and made by Weller. The cordless one doesn't get hot enough, and the corded one from HF only works on one exact spot on the tip. I think I'm going to buy the one that Opto recommended. I would love to get a junk board to practice on! Rev, I would feel bad making you drive out to my place just to help me. I could probably pull the board myself, and bring it over to you, unless you think it's something we could do without pulling it?
Kraken

Postby revtest on Mon May 23, 2011 9:47 am

You cant be that far. anyway its nice to be able to test it when done and see if there is more to it.
REVEREND-TEST
revtest

Postby eric on Mon May 23, 2011 10:51 am

Actually, yes, that's the board I was thinking of. Lemme know if you need the bridge rectifier and cap - I have both "in stock".
eric

Postby Kraken on Mon May 23, 2011 1:55 pm

Okay, I'll give you a call this week sometime!
Kraken

Postby eric on Wed May 25, 2011 1:27 pm

Please post back with what you find.
eric

Postby Kraken on Wed May 25, 2011 6:25 pm

Will do Eric.
Kraken

Postby Kraken on Fri May 27, 2011 6:53 am

Jake came over last night and, after crushing the high score on my new Creature on his first ball, fixed Road Show. He took the board off and reflowed the solder at a few boints. I think it was C9, C5 and a couple other areas right around those. Anyway, after reinstalling the board, it fired right up! Thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate it!
Kraken

Postby revtest on Sat May 28, 2011 10:58 am

That creature plays nice! smoothest one I've ever touched great pick up dude!
REVEREND-TEST
revtest

Previous

Return to Repair and Restoration