Attack from Mars

How to hit the things that are all lit up and flashing, and how to do it with style.

Attack from Mars

Postby FHF on Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:53 pm

So they put in AFM at Putter's down the street from my house. Naturally, I put up some scores. Then Dropshot decides that he is going to go all crazy and start ruling the universe faster than he can hit the start button. What a dick. Anyhow, now I feel the need to crush his scores but I can't seem to rule the universe more than once in a game! It takes 38 bil to get on the board and I think the GC is at 49 billion. So basically I'm going to post a bunch of crap here till I take down that score or my fingers fall off.
Win as if you were used to it, lose as if you enjoyed it for a change. - RWE
FHF

How to destroy Mars with one shot

Postby FHF on Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:57 pm

I had this really weird thing happen yesterday on AFM. I started a multiball on the last saucer, then destroyed the saucer but I had inadvertently hit two balls into the saucer and one got stuck when the gate closed. So I'm standing there with one ball stuck behind the gate, one on my flipper, and attack mars lit. I decided to shoot the gate to try and start attack mars, and that is when things got interesting. The ball hit the gate and knocked the trapped ball on the other side of the gate straight into the saucer.... Bammo! Mars was instantly destroyed!!
FHF

Re: Attack from Mars

Postby Opto on Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:04 pm

I think I saw your trick on Pinball 101 - or something similar. I've got to get down to Putters! I hear it's the best AFM in town . . . or was that Holmans?
"I hear the trunk shot on Theater Of Magic can be deadly."
Opto

Postby Legs on Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:16 pm

Isn't that just getting dirty pool at a very opportune moment?

I'll be playing AFM obsessively as well...even if I can pretend Aaron's scores are mine, it's not nearly as satisifying.
"Vrabel, on a bad luck streak and perhaps a little drunk, can't keep up." -The Willamette Week
Legs

Postby Dropshot on Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:17 pm

Oh, man that game is fun! Fred was walking up to Putter's as the display was showing I ruled the universe. By the time Fred took off his jacket, got a drink and came over to see what was going on I was ruling it for the second time. My new strategy is always open the saucer before starting MB. Never shoot the saucer unless you have the ball trapped. If you can get a two way combo keep going for it, the time limit is pretty forgiving, just don't put it in the pop bumpers. DO NOT stack MB's! Use them to destroy saucers, especially later in the game. Go for the 'lock' MB and super jackpots(Right ramp, lock ramp,left ramp, right orbital, left orbital x2, repeat). Shoot orbitals to get rid of the balls during MB. If you go into Rule the Universe with 1 shot away from TA, 1 lock away from MB, and Martians Attack lit, you come out of RTU with those all 1 shot away. So essentially you could rule the universe pretty quickly again.
Dropshot

Postby Dropshot on Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:19 pm

I think during a tournament strictly going for 'lock' MB and jackpots is the way to go though. Those supers build up quickly once you get a few.
Dropshot

Postby FHF on Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:41 pm

Yeah, I totally agree with the saucer strategy. I've come pretty close to ruling the universe twice, but I always seem to have a hard time getting the 5-way combo the second time. I think that my new approach is to make sure I go for the 5-way before completing total annihilation, that way you can use the orbitals. Noah, you should definitely check it out, that machine plays so sweet I bet you could make a run for that GC! I am putting up pretty consistent scores in the mid 20's, but I think that you definitely need to complete the universe twice to get up there. However, everyone was trying to just go for super jackpots the other night? It might work, but you'd have to slay that multiball!!
FHF

Postby Dropshot on Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:43 pm

I may just have to head down there tonight.
Dropshot

Postby FHF on Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:17 pm

Yeah, you better cause I'm coming up against some serious term limits!! hahahahahahaha!!!!! Oh, and I got 5 billion on total annihilation by trapping a ball on the left flipper and then hitting the lock shot like 500 times (well it was probably about 20). Anyhow, I'm pretty sure I could do that at least twice a game.
FHF

Postby Dropshot on Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:28 pm

Don't worry Fred, I'm like Bloomberg and with the crisis of the martian invasion you know you want an experience veteran holding the reigns for a few more terms, at least.

During TA, I like to get down to two balls and just keep hitting the left orbital into the pop bumpers, then dead flip to the right flipper and repeat. Your method would be good practice on getting MB though too.
Dropshot

Return to Tips and Tactics