Using playfield art to line up shots

How to hit the things that are all lit up and flashing, and how to do it with style.

Using playfield art to line up shots

Postby eric on Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:19 pm

On certain games I find myself using the playfield artwork to help line up shots. Does anyone else do this?

For instance on TAF, releasing a ball cradled on the left flipper and flipping when the ball is square with the 3 million mansion window will usually hit the electric chair scoop. On the right side, flipping when the ball is square with the Mamushka window is approximately the center ramp shot. A little past Mamushka is the Thing shot. On IJ I use the butt and tip of the whip to line up the captive ball and mode start, respectively. JM, red and black stripes to lineup the spinner shot.

Obviously, the accuracy of these marks will vary depending on flipper strength, calibration, PF pitch, etc., but I find them helpful when getting your bearings on an unfamiliar machine.

Got any more?
eric

Re: Using playfield art to line up shots

Postby CAP on Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:32 pm

North on the compass lines up the center scoop on Black Rose with the broadside cannon.
CAP

Postby Dropshot on Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:08 pm

i tried it and don't like it, I just watch for placement of the ball on the flipper itself
Dropshot

Postby revtest on Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:15 pm

It doesn't like you either!
REVEREND-TEST
revtest

Postby Legs on Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:12 am

I tried your Addams Family idea at GK tonight, and the left flipper/3mill had me hitting the chair pretty much every single time. I usually line up shots by timing/counting rather than visually (like on Dr. Who, figuring out the time interval as the ball comes back down from H to the upper flipper), personally.
"Vrabel, on a bad luck streak and perhaps a little drunk, can't keep up." -The Willamette Week
Legs

Postby bounceback on Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:40 am

i use the layout on monster bash to lineup the ramp shots. sometimes makes the difference when that fucking right ramp isn't being easy to make. that's the major problem on almost every bash i play. when the flippers are calibrated correctly that game is a dream come true.

i think the artwork can definitely help, but i feel the variation on individual machines makes it unreliable a lot of the time. still, they're good landmarks. i definitely struggle with aim most of all at this point. i feel like there's a huge difference between "punching" the flipper, with a quick release, and leaving some follow through. even with the exact same aim/line up with the art, i feel like the ball will travel really differently depending how much pop or follow through you give the flipper. i spend most of my time fucking around with that while i play, and rarely being super consistent with it, which is why i lose, i think.
bounceback

Postby HornedGramma on Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:51 pm

Using the 3m window to hit the chair on Addams Family has worked for me consistently on half a dozen machines. That shot is right off the top of the flipper though; the flipper could be half dead and it would still probably work most of the time.

On The Simpsons there's like a red lightning bolt or something next to the upper flipper that I use to line up the Treehouse shot. That's served me well.
So much for a friendly topic...
HornedGramma

Postby SuperDaveOsbourne on Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:41 am

I've found it works ideal on simulators, however on real machines due to setup, manufacturing, wear and tear have a lot to say about it working reliably.
--
A man of a million stunts!
SuperDaveOsbourne

Return to Tips and Tactics