multiball strategies for 24

How to hit the things that are all lit up and flashing, and how to do it with style.

multiball strategies for 24

Postby bounceback on Mon May 11, 2009 1:47 am

just played 24 for the first time today. played one game for an hour and a half, played 7 suitcase multiballs (a drag because the shots needed to light lock on the right ramp increase with each MB, so by the end it took 21 left ramp shots to light locks for the 3 balls on the right ramp,) and never collected nuke jackpot. i'm assuming that after collecting super jackpot, you have to shoot all the lit red arrow shots again, then maybe the left ramp again to collect nuke? i ended up with only between 2-300 mill which was really disappointing for all that work. GC on the machine was over 700, and the guy who has the GC is a novice who told me "i don't know how i did it but i got a nuke jackpot and that rocketed my score up there." kinda sucks that the scoring is so imbalanced, on the other hand it's cool that there's a quite difficult multiball with a big reward if you complete it. i didn't even bother focusing on the other jackpots, modes or multiballs. scenes come whether you're aiming for those shots or not. occasionally i'd hit a safe house hurry up to start that MB, or a sniper multiball. on the machine i played, it was not easy to backhand the sniper shot. it was possible, and i started off going for it, but it was not reliable. the right ramp was backhandable if you were accurate and firm, too, but again, it had to be a perfect shot, so i much more frequently shot left ramp, then right ramp from the left flipper.

what are people doing to collect nuke jackpot? i cradled balls as much as possible during multiballs, but since shots have to be hit on both sides, found it difficult to stick with just one or the other flipper. i'd usually try to lose a ball up the left ramp and hit the right ramp, and most of the time the shots i was missing for nuke jackpot were right orbit and sniper.

am i just drunk or is suitcase multiball the only way to go with this game? i never completed a nuke jackpot, likewise never got (either a safehouse or sniper jackpot-- i got one and not the other, can't remember which, or how i got it.) was really close to completing the game, though. not sure if that's even worth money, or if there's a wizard mode. i didn't notice if the spinner value builds, but that shot, and the pop bumpers building some jackpot, seemed potentially worth something and safe. that backhandable left ramp though is probably the only thing worth shooting all day. it's just so easy to loop that shot, nothing else seems desirable. anyway-- if i could figure out a way to reliably get nuke jackpots, i think i could get good scores, so tell me how it's done.
bounceback

Re: multiball strategies for 24

Postby caylegeorge on Mon May 11, 2009 1:30 pm

Step one: Start suitcase MB. Shoot left ramp to re-light suitcase "locks." Re-lock 3 balls (2 is ok). Shoot left ramp super(s). Shot the six victory laps (alternate flashing ramps). Collect lit nuke jackpot.

Step 2: Repeat.

Step 3: Profit :)

-cAyle
caylegeorge

Postby bounceback on Mon May 11, 2009 3:37 pm

so all you have to do is hit alternating ramps six times then hit the super J shot again? i was chasing all the stupid lit arrows around the board. i also think i fucked up by not locking multiple balls on the right ramp during mb-- i was focusing on trapping them on the flippers instead.

i'll give it another shot. i definitely could've done this last night, turns out. what were high scores on 24 at the tournament?
bounceback

Postby deathsave on Tue May 12, 2009 9:52 am

Step 4: Boredom!

i think the good scores at rocky mountain were 200-250m. keith elwin and some others mentioned playing it at a previous event and getting 1b+, i presume with EB's and a much less touchy tilt.
This isn't a problem with tungsten bulbs because the filament remains red hot for a short duration after voltage is removed - long enough to appear lit persistently.
deathsave

Postby bounceback on Tue May 12, 2009 11:33 pm

yeah i assume there must be a major difference in the settings, because this guy i was talking to with the 700+ mil GC had no fucking idea what he was doing, and i had no problem making shots on the game, i just didn't know wtf to really shoot for. thought i was doing right by playing 7 suitcase multiballs but hey... shit. i coulda done a lot better for sure. fuck. game was on factory settings somewhat easier posts, medium tight tilt (not auto-tilt if you nudged, but easily tiltable.) just, for that long of a game, ridiculous to have under 300 mil. i played 4 balls. talked to replay at the meeting & he said he had around 5-600 mil without ever getting a nuke jackpot, and watched an entire blazers game, wasn't really paying attention to pinball.
bounceback

Return to Tips and Tactics