Batman Tutorial

How to hit the things that are all lit up and flashing, and how to do it with style.

Batman Tutorial

Postby mhstein on Wed May 25, 2011 11:14 pm

A new PAPA tutorial for batman is available on our blog. There is a new widescreen format as well as the traditional vertical format available for anyone who prefers it. Any comments, requests, critiques, or questions are always welcome.

Keep on flipping!
http://tiltwarning.com/blog
mhstein

Re: Batman Tutorial

Postby Opto on Thu May 26, 2011 2:17 pm

The billion point shot is actually pretty darn cool. I mean it's some serious wood chopping, but still neat you can do it.
"I hear the trunk shot on Theater Of Magic can be deadly."
Opto

Postby bkerins on Fri May 27, 2011 11:37 am

It's remarkably less wood-choppy than I expected it would be, and it can actually be made simpler with full doubling. I didn't have the Batmobile mini-mine, so the Hurry Up was doubled, but it could have been at 4x instead. AND it's doubled from the left loop shot before the collection. Really, it's insane how many boints this can be worth.

"Only double value?"
bkerins

Postby ROM on Fri May 27, 2011 12:07 pm

"Only five coats of carnuba?"

Idea! Don't you think that a game that's about fixing pinball machines would be popular and rad :?: :?:

Similar to junk yard, you can hit shots in order to acquire and upgrade your tools. And then there would be modes like "Rebuild Connector" where you have to hit, like, 8 shots - each one representing a pin on the connector. ETC.
Vibe Police
ROM

Postby Opto on Fri May 27, 2011 12:09 pm

I could see TDK being kinda fun if all you did why try for the insane hurry up. Like, sometimes I'll play STTNG and just go for warp factor cuz the shot is cool.
A weird comparison as the right orbit does not compare to the warp factor combo in terms of radness.

BTW - Centaur only questions your mortal being when you let him down by not going for the double lane captive ball/inline shot . . . or rolling over a lit bonusX lane.

"Slow aren't you?"
"I hear the trunk shot on Theater Of Magic can be deadly."
Opto

Postby bkerins on Mon May 30, 2011 9:01 am

Agreed, and I think it partly comes from the inbalance in the earlier versions of Batman software. In the older software there was almost NO reason to shoot the right orbit, except the one shot to complete the old version of Batmobile Hurry-Up.

NOW it suddenly becomes the most lucrative shot in the game.

Oh, and on STTNG, the warp factor shot slowly but surely becomes the most lucrative shot in the game, as the spinner value increases. Warp 7 is the best of all warps, "Double Spinner", since it eventually leads to a ridiculous spinner value amounting to having Super Spinner on the entire game.

"Bad move human!"
bkerins

Postby JeffK on Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:17 am

You might be sick of hearing it, but huge thanks for taking the time to do all these videos. Lots of insight about flipper skills, machine strategies, etc. Great quality, great play. Also, that new format is high tech!
JeffK

Postby bkerins on Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:37 pm

We dialed back the format a bit: turns out it was far too labor-intensive and subject to camera failure -- if ANY camera broke down or ran out of tape, oops.

Thanks for the kind words and there are several more completed tutorials in the pipeline. I hope to film more after PAPA, it depends a lot on work and travel. With work in Pittsburgh once a month for the past year, it's been pretty perfect.

See you all again sometime soon!
bkerins

Return to Tips and Tactics